Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Japan has fastest internet speeds

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 21,803 posts
  • MVP

Americans invented the Internet, but the Japanese are running away with it.

Broadband service here is eight to 30 times as fast as in the United States -- and considerably cheaper. Japan has the world's fastest Internet connections, delivering more data at a lower cost than anywhere else, recent studies show.

Accelerating broadband speed in this country -- as well as in South Korea and much of Europe -- is pushing open doors to Internet innovation that are likely to remain closed for years to come in much of the United States.

The speed advantage allows the Japanese to watch broadcast-quality, full-screen television over the Internet, an experience that mocks the grainy, wallet-size images Americans endure.

Ultra-high-speed applications are being rolled out for low-cost, high-definition teleconferencing, for telemedicine -- which allows urban doctors to diagnose diseases from a distance -- and for advanced telecommuting to help Japan meet its goal of doubling the number of people who work from home by 2010.

"For now and for at least the short term, these applications will be cheaper and probably better in Japan," said Robert Pepper, senior managing director of global technology policy at Cisco Systems, the networking giant.

There's a depressing chart that shows Japan enjoys a median download speed of 61 mpbs, followed by South Korea with 46 mbps. Of the countries listed, the US had a paltry 2 mbps median download speed.

http://www.washingto...7082801990.html

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,046 posts
  • MVP
well..it's not that hard to update the telecom infrastructure in japan...not much geographical area to cover...really easy to trench fiber throught the whole countery....and in south korea...i would imagine the numbers are based on the larger cities where most people who would have internet access would live....

plus....the US is behind in most technologies....like cellphone networks etc...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ive spent time in South Korea and a little time in Japan, but only in major cities. But I know for South Korea you will have a central city with a large effecient infrastructure but 6 miles outside of town, they had no running water and lived in shanty type housing. So Im sure they do, If LA, Chicago, NYC, and Austin only had internet I bet we would have the fastest download speeds too. Have to keep things in perspective.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • 21,803 posts
  • MVP

well..it's not that hard to update the telecom infrastructure in japan...not much geographical area to cover...really easy to trench fiber throught the whole countery....and in south korea...i would imagine the numbers are based on the larger cities where most people who would have internet access would live....

plus....the US is behind in most technologies....like cellphone networks etc...

They actually say that the World War II bombing of Japan by the US helped - it wiped out much of their infrastructure, so a lot of what is in place is newer than ours. Also, because it's such a small geographic area, their local loops are much shorter.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
American companies and municipalities are too greedy. I live in a rural area.

The cable stops about 1/2 mile from my house in 2 directions. It would cost them too much to run cable to my house, even though they could pick up 4-8 people on the way.

The phone company shows that they cant supply me with DSL. I called the phone company to see if this would ever change, they told me that the cost they would have to pay to the township in my area to offer that service is too high, so they block out the whole area.

Township meeting is next week, Ill be there.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So are you on dial-up, ScHwErV?