Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Always on Startup

• Please log in to reply

g.siddarth

g.siddarth

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:whistling:

Hey guys and gals, I just wanna say, thanks for everything in advance. So, my dad's small business server (Windows 2003 Server for Small Businesses, HP Proliant Systems) crashes on startup, without exception, starting yesterday. Every single time I boot up Windows, it dies before getting to the login screen. I always get the Blue Screen of Death with this message:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

and

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE2664004, 0x0000000, 0x862E53ED, 0x00000001)

I have no idea how to get into Safe Mode on this piece of crap, because there is no "Advanced Startup Options" prompt anywhere. Please help, as my huge important thesis papers are on there, due next week, and I'm basically ****ed if I can't recover them. Being the idiot I am, I didn't back them up, so that's about 3 months of work right there. If you guys can help me fix this, you are my saviors.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you would get into safe mode the same way you would with any other system
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

if you can get into safe mode back up everything important before trying to fix the problem

first i'd run memtest86 (follow the instructions on how to make a bootable disk and run the software) to test the ram in the machine (the errors you're listing are often ram related)....if any errors come up you will probably have to replace some ram in the machine

g.siddarth

g.siddarth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for replying.

I got into Safe Mode, but ran into another error:

A problem has been detected...etc.

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC000005, 0x86D5F640, 0xF797AC18, 0xF797A868)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so even in safe mode you get a BSOD?

g.siddarth

g.siddarth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yah, I tried Safe Mode with Networking in hopes of emailing said papers to myself...I'll try regular Safe Mode now

EDIT: Same stop error as before

Edited by g.siddarth, 29 August 2007 - 10:00 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a single drive system or is there some sort of raid setup going on?

g.siddarth

g.siddarth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It says something about RAID, but I have absolutely no idea what RAID is or what it means. What specifically do you want to know?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe well....i was hoping it only had one drive...because if it did...there's a way to get the info off of the system before moving on (technically there are still ways but they're a little more difficult than poping the drive into another machine)

try running the mem test program to see what shows up

g.siddarth

g.siddarth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can't get it to boot the memtest...do you have any other ideas?

All I really care about is recovering my thesis paper on it

Edited by g.siddarth, 29 August 2007 - 11:36 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think dsenette is on the right track...bad RAM.

If you are having problems with memtest, try the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Save the file to your desktop, double click on it, accept the agreement, and choose the cd option. Easy as that. Then boot the machine with it and let it run at least 4 complete passes. Any failures at all will be indicative of a bad RAM module.

Do you have the installation cd for your operating system?