Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update caused blue screen crash

• Please log in to reply

jmcconkey

jmcconkey

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hello,

I performed a Windows update today from Microsoft. It had been a while since I had performed one, so microsoft had several security updates and such. I allowed microsoft to perfrom their reccomended updates. Well when it was almost finished, I got the blue screen of death. I rebooted my PC, and now I get the following error after the DELL Bios splash screen appers.

I/O Card Parity Interrupt @ F000:F180
Type (S)hut off NMI, ®eboot, Other key to continue.

When I type R for reboot, it always comes to this screen. When I hit any other key to continue, it goes to a black screen and never anywhere else. When I hit S for shut off NMI, windows does load, however it seems to take about 15 mins or so for it to complete load up. All the componets seem to work fine once it is up and running. However, everytime I reboot I have the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a hardware issue caused by whatever card has decided to malfunction. Not a software problem, certainly nothing that Windows Update had anything to do with.

Its basically telling you there's an issue with one of the expansion cards in the computer - one of the things that lives in one of the white PCI slots. If you only have one PCI card, take it out and see if things improve. If you don't have any PCI cards, then you have a problem with the motherboard.

arou402

arou402

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi
As neil says but if all's well after taking the card out, try putting it back in again as it may only be that it wasn't seated properly.

jmcconkey

jmcconkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yeah...I will take it out and try it. I know its not anything to do with a card be steated properly. The card has been in for a few years and the computer has never been moved. And it is sort of weird it happens right in the middle of a windows update?? I personally believe that one of the updates changed an irq setting or something that caused this.

So here is what I am going to do.

1. Take the card out and reboot and see if the error occurs. If it does than its not the card causing the issue.

2. I can also perform a system restore point to the day before yesterday (pre-windows update) and see if it fixes everthing. That will prove that it was the update that caused this.

Do either of you know why it take soooooo looooong for windows to completely load?

I will keep you update as i go along.

Thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows Updates patch Windows. They do not change IRQs or hardware settings like that.
Its probably coincidence that the card is beginning to pack up just after Windows Update.

Windows probably takes all day to load because of the card that's now malfunctioning.