Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build, power supply question

• Please log in to reply

Hung On Gravity

Hung On Gravity

• Pip
  • 2 posts
CPU
AMD X2 6000+

Mobo
Asus M2N-E nForce 570 Ultra (Not running SLI)

HDs
WD Caviar 250GB SATA
Samsung Generic 80GB IDE

CD
Samsung 20x DVD+/-RW SATA

Memory
2GB (2 x 1GB) Corsiar XMS2 4-4-4-12

Video
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB DDR3

Power Supply
OCZ StealthXstream 600w

Case
Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ window (Cutting case to install upper ventilation fan)

OS
Vista Home Premium - Sys Builders Version

Trying to keep the price floating around 1k, this one's about $1050ish after rebates and shipping from Newegg.

-- The question I have is will the 600w be plenty for this build? Obviously I'd like to have some space between needed wattage and applied wattage. I may be adding a WD Raptor X and an Arcting Cooling cpu fan to the build after a month or so. I also have been wondering about the Sys Builders version of Vista HP, the only two things I can pull from articles is that the SB version is cheaper and has no tech support from Windows, which I can live definitely with. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

CC

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to http://www.extreme.o...ucalculator.jsp your computer's minimum juice level is about 450-460w.

You might want to use two SATA drives as the old IDE drive will slow things down heavily.
Your Raptor X will only add another 20w on top of the above figure.
Your replacement fan will probably add no more overheads than the retail fan would.

Edited by Neil Jones, 29 August 2007 - 02:55 PM.