Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! PC + sound gets stuck

• Please log in to reply

xcom

xcom

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

thanks so much for helping in these forums... doing great work! :whistling:

my problem started about month ago...
i normaly play IL2:Sturmovik, untill now i had no problem.... but latly i had some problems -

1. started seeing wierd spots on the ground and very wierd jumps in graphics later on the ground...
sometime after these things start occuring the computer gets stuck for like 30 seconds! computer and the sounds!
i tryed reducing the graphic detail but it didnt help... i also tryed closing everything in the background but still same result!

2. after i continued with this problem for few weeks i now start having the blue screen... game + sound stuck the same way but for shorter periods of 2-5 secs... and then after few of those coming pretty fast i get the blue screen saying the computer has encountered some kind of error and the starting of memory dump...
after i restart, the boot doesnt work... it asks to insert disk for startup... after i let the comp rest for few minutes it gets back to normal untill i get back into a game!

my system:
P4 3GHZ
Gforce 6800 Ultra 256mb
512 mb + 512 mb RAM
80GB HD
Creative Live value sound card

thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi xcom...

There's a myriad of things that could cause these problems. Let's start by having a look at the temperatures and voltages. Download, install, and run SpeedFan on the machine. If you can, post a screenshot of the SpeedFan window with the "Readings" tab selected. Do this right after you start the machine and again after the machine has run for a while...preferably near the time you are experiencing the problem.

wannabe1

xcom

xcom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok done that...

here is the screen after the problem and the pc ran for while:

http://www.badongo.com/pic/1392914

and here is after restart:

http://www.badongo.com/pic/1392922

hope this helps....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your rig's running pretty hot...maybe hot enough to cause you problems. Have you cleaned the CPU cooler recently? The HDD sensors are also high, though not critical. Do you have any case fans in the machine?

xcom

xcom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i sometimes vacum and fan the inside of the PC
the mechine is open...
i got an old ATX case, only 1 broken fan in it so i have to keep it open... and the room is A/Ced when im on the comp so im not sure....

someone told me it might be the Power supply.... maybe it needs changing cuz it cant handle the load?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How big is the PSU (in Watts)? The voltages look pretty good, though it's hard to get a true picture with only two screenshots.

I think you'd be better served by installing a 10 dollar fan in the rear of the case and putting the side panel back on. Believe it or not, running with the side panel off can make things worse rather than better. The CPU is running in the critical range for a desktop now...under load it's getting even hotter.

xcom

xcom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hard to tell how much the PSU is... some panel is blocking the sticker so i cant see.
is there a program to check this?

so closing the case and putting a fan will actualy cool the cpu and other parts?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When air is drawn from the front and out the rear, everything gets better cooling, including the hard disks...and the CPU fan can't recirculate it's own heat through the cooler.

Sorry, I don't know of any applications that can tell you the output of the PSU...most only read the rail voltages.

Watch your temperatures. I'll bet when the CPU hits 60*C or a little over, you start seeing problems.

xcom

xcom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank alot for the help
Im going to get the case fans working again and get a new PSU that will suit the computer.

any recommendation for a good PSU for my system?
something that doesnt rip the pocket...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are several reasonably prices brands of PSU's that offer good power regulation. Antec and Thermaltake have always done well for me. These days, 450 to 500 watts would be a good minimum with modern hardware.