Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom Dell Build - Opinions?

• Please log in to reply

playnine9

playnine9

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I customized a Dell Vostro 1500 and I was looking for opinions on it.

If you can think of somewhere that I can cut costs, places that might be cheaper, something I forgot, or any other comments/suggestions, I'd really really appreciate it!

I'll be using this system to run Solidworks 2007 (CAD software) and Matlab for school, basically. It's not for gaming, but Solidworks is a processor-intense program.

**I'd rather have Windows XP than Vista, but that wasn't offered in this build. Any ideas?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5470 (1.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife™
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
Dell Exclusive MediaDirect™ Instant Play Software Application
Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card
Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera
High Definition Audio 2.0
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

$759 plus tax+shipping

Again, ANY comments will he really appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I would go for the at least Vista Home Premium. The Home Basic version is just crap and I am disappointed with it. Now I have to upgrade online and pay an extra $70 for Premium. I believe the Dell Vostro does not have the option of Vista Home Premium so I would go for the Business version.
http://www.microsoft...ons/choose.mspx
As you can see Home Basic has nothing cool and is basically XP except it is a little more secure.

PS: I think I would bump up the processor a notch or 2 if you are going to run CAD.

Edited by jackflash1991, 29 August 2007 - 09:44 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Just looked up Solidworks 2007 and only the 2008 version will work with Vista.
http://www.solidwork...quirements.html

Edited by jackflash1991, 29 August 2007 - 09:47 PM.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
In my opinion,
using solidworks isnt that intensive on my desktop pc ( See specs below )
But my friend use's solidworks on a pretty mid range laptop struggles
I wouldn't use solidworks on a laptop not just the hardware limitations that suck but also the touchpad sucks totally its so hard to use without a mouse

it would be better to invest the money on a desktop pc if your not traveling to use solidworks on.

Troppo

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

In my opinion,
using solidworks isnt that intensive on my desktop pc

I don't know that much about solidworks but one of the cad programs I use at school just sucks up all of the resources.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
The only time solidworks (2006) becomes resource hungry is when you are working on very large models or creating intricate assembalies
If its just for general use and not full on 3D design then its really not as resource hungry as people think but having said that it does struggle on mid to low range computers

i no some of my friends have had some trouble as far as lagging goes but its still useable the decision is yours basically i think that CPU should do ok or pehaps the nect one up

Troppo