Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GIF's on Vista

• Please log in to reply

Darkknight

Darkknight

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello,
I upgraded to Vista Ultimate about a month ago and everything is running great (luckily no problems like everybody else) but one thing that i've recently found out is that for some reason it wont open and GIF files. I ran a test by creating a picture on photoshop and paint and saving them under jpeg and gif. The exact same picture was able to open as a jpeg but not as a gif. Is this a common problem? The error i receive is similar to this: Windows cannot find "File Name". Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. I even made a gif on my laptop running XP which runs find on the laptop but wont work in Vista. Any help would be greatly appreciated, you guys haven't failed me yet.

-Julian

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no problems in Vista with GIF files (it would be commercial suicide).
It's more than likely the problem you're using to open the GIFs isn't working.

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the quick response, so how can I diagnose this problem, I've tried making gifs with Paint, Photoshop, Fireworks, and even a program called Sqirlz Water Reflection, and none seem to work.

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Does anybody have a suggestion? I really need to be able to work with gif's especially animated gifs.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Darkknight...

Open Control Panel and double click the "Default Programs" icon. Click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" link. Scroll down the list to .gif and click on it...click the "Change Program" button. Select the application you want to handle this file type and apply the change.

wannabe1

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the help, I'm at school right now, but I'll try this and get back to you as soon as I can, once again thanks for the help.

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I did what was said and nothing, the same old message shows up.

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Any updates or solutions.

Mr T.

Mr T.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem, I have found the only way to run gif files is to do what wannabe1 suggested, setting IE as the default program for gifs. Alternatively you can right click..open with, and choose IE on a one by one basis or even set IE as default from there. It's not the best but until MS does something about it that's all there is.

eliteeternity

eliteeternity

• Pip
  • 2 posts

There is no problems in Vista with GIF files (it would be commercial suicide).
It's more than likely the problem you're using to open the GIFs isn't working.

Looks like Microsoft just committed "commercial suicide" because .gif files won't open on a fresh install of vista. If you set the default program to open .gif images to "windows photo gallery" then it sure does open windows photo gallery, but the .gif doesn't display. I do a lot of graphic/web design and I've found that I just have to right click the .gif I want to open and click "open with" and then select photoshop and do my edits to it there. There is no way that I've found to just open and view .gif images on a windows vista machine. I have used windows vista business, basic and all the others.

Do you even own a computer with Windows Vista Neil Jones? If you do, please do share with the community how you got vista to open your gifs. Your computer must be magic with the confidence you answered the question with.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
See if Irfanview can help you with .GIFs
http://www.irfanview.com/

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can always try using Animation Shop 3 from Jasc for making animations. Paint Shop Pro is also a good photo and graphics program to use. I still use PSP 8 on my XP computers.

http://www.corel.com...71#tabview=tab0

http://www.corel.com...51#tabview=tab0

Nice prices on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Do you even own a computer with Windows Vista Neil Jones? If you do, please do share with the community how you got vista to open your gifs. Your computer must be magic with the confidence you answered the question with.

Internet Explorer can do it. Problem solved? :)
What I said at the time (which is the best part of a year ago now) was correct to the best of my knowledge. If you read the site disclaimer it clearly states that "We [Geeks To Go] do not guarantee that [responses] are accurate". A forum equivalent of Caveat Emptor must apply in my view.

Edited by Neil Jones, 26 July 2008 - 12:50 PM.

eliteeternity

eliteeternity

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Internet Explorer can do it. Problem solved? :)
What I said at the time (which is the best part of a year ago now) was correct to the best of my knowledge. If you read the site disclaimer it clearly states that "We [Geeks To Go] do not guarantee that [responses] are accurate". A forum equivalent of Caveat Emptor must apply in my view.

lol. Fair enough.

NeedNoReason

NeedNoReason

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've known about opening gifs in I.E. forever basically, but you cant go forward or backwards between pictures once open in IE(you have to click on them in explorer then it opens another ie window or tab) and that gets annoying, anyways i downloaded a couple crapy programs that i could browse thru my animated gifs but the animation on the gifs were all messed up, like fuzzy and distorted, then i found the greatest program thats free, havent completely used it yet, but it seems like just what i was looking for and more.
works in vista and its free: :)
http://www.faststone...iewerDetail.htm

hope this helps anyone else annoyed by vista, gifs, and only using ie