Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows installed twice.. Even after reformat?

• Please log in to reply

Paulie7

Paulie7

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
A PC I'm currently working on has just been reformatted (by me(twice now)) and is showing TWO installations of XP each time it gets reformatted. Is there a way to remove one? Shouldn't there only be one in the first place?
There is only one drive plugged in at the moment so there's no chance of XP being installed on another drive.

One of the times I reformatted it, it ended up coming up with an error about 'hal.dll' missing. Research revealed that it was a problem with the BOOT.INI? This happened before Windows would even begin to load.

It is becoming quite frustrating. I have no idea what to do now.

BTW - The OS is XP Professional SP2

System specs are as follows (If they help?)

Intel C2D E6700
ASUS P5B-Deluxe-WiFi
2gb DDR2
Geforce 8800GTS
80gb SATAII

Cheers guys :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Paulie7...

Do you actually have two operating systems aboard or are you just getting prompted for which you want to start when you boot the machine?

Open Local Disk C:...how many folders with "Windows" in the name do you see?

wannabe1

Paulie7

Paulie7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the response :whistling:

The HDD has been completely wiped.. So there couldn't be any old files residing on the hard drive.
I have installed XP Pro ONCE.. yet during the boot process it asks me whether I want to choose 1: XP Pro or 2: XP Pro.

Cheers

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it boot when you choose the top one?

Open Control Panel (Classic View) and double click on the "System" icon. Click the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window (boot.ini) will open. Copy and Paste the contents of that window here for me.

Paulie7

Paulie7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, it currently boots when the top one is chosen.

The PC in question is actually at home. I'm at work at the moment and am unable to access that info.
However, I will be able to paste it in here in about an hour and a half.. Maybe less. If you're still around then :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead and paste it for me...if I'm still up, I'll deal with it tonight. If not, first thing in the morning. It's nearly midnight here.

Paulie7

Paulie7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No worries. I've got the owner of the PC coming over in a bit over 4 hours. Hopefully I can suss it out by then.

Bugger about the time zones. It's only 3:50pm here.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The boot.ini should look similar to what I have below. Removing the line of text shown in red should remove the prompt at startup. Once you remove the line of text, click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Close all open windows and reboot.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Make sure the information next to "default=..." is the same as the remaining line under [operating systems].

Paulie7

Paulie7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Excellent! Thanks wannabe1, I will check this shortly

Paulie7

Paulie7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, it had the extra line.

I've now removed it. Hopefully things go smoothly.