Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Power source

• Please log in to reply

Moeror

Moeror

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Ok, in the past few weeks my graphics card (Geforce 7900) has been having some crazy issues. Lil dots on the screen, during games there are major problems like lines, tearing of graphics, sometimes the desktop screen will flash on and off. Now I bought a new PSU cablet o connect to the card thining this will fix it, but it didn't. Its still worse than ever. I put in the old graphics card that came with computer, and all problems went away. However its a fairly low end card, and Id rather fix the problem. What could be causing this? It's not overheating because this does this happens right away. I'm open to any ideas.

Advertisements

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I am gonna buy a new power source. My computer is about a year and a half old. Is there anything i should look for to make sure I get the right PSU, or is pretty much anything i find gonna be able to get into my Dell and install correctly/

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The physical dimensions of dell PSU are different from standard power supplies, so a general PSU will not fit inside the dell case.
Why do you want to change your PSU?
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It sounds like your PSU is putting out enough for the video card. When you upgraded the card did you upgrade the PSU? What is the max wattage and +12V amperage on the PSU (usually written on the side of the PSU)?

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
My vid card needs a 350 w PSU mines only 305.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
305w

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What your PC's product number?
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 August 2007 - 12:27 PM.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

What your PC's product number?
James

Dimension E510

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.pcpower.c...t.php?show=S47D
What video card do you have or are you getting?
James

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I have a Geforce 7900 GT.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The PSU suggested above would be a good alternative to the one you have now. It won't however power a card much more power then the one you currently hold, the sole reason why your paying a premium for the PSU is because dell PSU dimension aren't standard so there is a smaller market for them, rendering higher production costs.
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 August 2007 - 11:42 PM.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
If I got one of these http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812189003
and connected the vid card so it has 2 cords to the PSU would that make it run better?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No that connector splits one molex connector into two. To power your graphics card you need a 6pin PCIe connector.
James

Edited by james_8970, 31 August 2007 - 12:25 AM.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I have that, but ive been having some issues with the performance in games, and the Nvdia customner support to me to get a better PSU. Course everywhere I read they say 305watts is just fine for what i'm using.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What kind of performance issues?
James