Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BDOS inaccesible boot device

• Please log in to reply

honey18

honey18

• Pip
  • 8 posts
dear all,

i have a old toshiba laptop portege 7100 with Windows NT por... yesterday it showed me the blue screen with
stop 0x0000007b (0x 81444030,0x c00000006, 0x00000000, 0x 00000000)

i loged in safe mode and when it reached file agp440.sys, the sys gets halted and hard disk light goes on and it starts making accessing sounds and the BSOD appears.

now my prob is i don't have the cd drive working and have very important data on the hard disk.. how shud i go abt solving the problem... and yes b4 the BSOD the system did have spyware which i was trying to remove but one dll cudn't be removed and my browser homepage was continuously getting hijacked...

It wud be kind if someone cud gimme pointers to solve my problem as i use the laptop infrequently and mainly to store my data file and last batch even doesn't have a back up...

what i can do is i can download or load files frm my desktop to laptop via usb stick or fdd... so pls. help me boot my laptop and backup my data..

many thanx

Edited by honey18, 30 August 2007 - 06:03 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo
since repair with CD is out and because the system is not running meaning internet is out too, I suggest removing a harddrive form a laptop (fairly easy if you feel up to it) and placing the harddrive in an external harddrive caddie to run malware scans while connected to another computer, and then returning it to the computer to see if it works, but even after that if the computer still doesn't work, then at least with the same way you can retrieve your data, anyway I hope someone else has a better idea

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
As I see it you have two options:

1: Fix the cd drive and run xp repair installation.

2: Take out the HD, go to the shop and buy a 2.5" enclosure which converts IDE to USB connection. You install the hard disk inside and connect to another computer's usb port to download the data. After you do this run a thorough anti malware scans.

honey18

honey18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thank you fleamailman and skeptic for ur replies. and skeptic it is running win 2000NT not XP so that is out.

yesterday i had an idea if i can get a basic dos bootable in a floppy disk as fdd is still working which has chkdsk utility and try running that b4 i go and buy something new. its a really old laptop and sitting with me though shud have been junked long time ago so i don't feel like spending anything. i really have to look arnd for basic bootable , can u suggest if i can get frm net and make a bootable at desktop and use it for my laptop.

do u think this is fair enf idea coz i jst want to login once and retrive my important files.

thanks a tonne

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. Download Puppy Linux to your flash drive and install it from there. Puppy Linux is a very compact operating system of about 50-80 MB. It should enable you to reach your HD and backup the data.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
skeptic is very very right, puppy is a bit of a learning curve but a curve worth learning since once done you will have a malwarefree system, there are other distrobutions of linux(distros) that is if any of your drivers are not recognised so don't give up and above all don't chuck your computer, mine is older than that and works a treat, here is the puppy distro, the puppy forum(always need the distro's forum as one should never try a distro without its own forum)

forum
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/

distro
http://www.puppylinu...ds.php?cat_id=1