Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD, "Device_irql" stop message, Simcity 4

• Please log in to reply

hempdiddy

hempdiddy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello all!

Here is one for the experts:

I have been getting the BSOD message "DEVICE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" while playing Simcity 4. Please read on for a history of the problem I'm trying to solve.

I have an ABIT motherboard with an AMD 1.5 chip, 1024 MB memory, a video card in the AGP slot, and running Wndows XP Home.

One year ago I upgraded from my onboard Nvidia video card to an ATI Radeon 9600XT. It worked fine for about 11 months until the fan took a dump on me and burned out. It was under warranty from newegg.com so I orderd a replacement card and waited for it to arrive. I chose to go back to Nvidia and went with the GeForce 6200. While waiting, I took out the ATI card, sent it back, uninstalled all my ATI related software and drivers and switched back to using my onboard video.

This is when the problems started. Almost all functions involving my video card would cause this (BSOD) error message. Things as simple as saving pics from the internet and using picture viewing software would cause a crash. I was bound to only basic functions while waiting for the replacement card to arrive. When it did arrive, I installed the card and associated sofware. Things were great! Everything up and running, games running well too. That was until this week when I installed Simcity 4.

While playing Simcity last night, I was blown out of the game and into the BSOD numerous times the message reads "DEVICE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". What gives?!?!

I have updated my video drivers and double checked my bios settings. The BSDO says, "BIOS memory cacheing or shadowing should be disabled" as a possible remedy. I've tried that, too (I think...) by setting the System BIOS Cacheable and Video Cacheable settings in my BIOS screen to "Disable". It was no help. Even unistalling the game and reinstalling it from my slave drive to the C: drive didn't help.

I understand that there are a number of reasons why this screen may appear. Anything from bad memory to overheating or even incorrect Device IRQ numbers. I've tried to give a detailed history in hopes that someone here may be able to help me out. It all started when I removed that [bleep] ATI card and went back to my onboard card in the interim. I think there is a setting SOMEWHERE that I've missed or the system is having conflict with. The systems components are of quality and I have never had any hardware issues.

Simcity 4 is a graphically intense game and this message seems to only appear when the screen is full of little buildings and the system has a lot to deal with...

PLEASE HELP!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, becasue I have only a very basic understanding of hardware and technical system information. Thank you!

- Hempdiddy

Advertisements

Peat Moss

Peat Moss

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
After reading "both your posts " I was thinking you may have something simple like a corrupt driver , you say you deleted related video software and drivers . Have you tried Driver Cleaner , a program for both Ati and Nividia driver removal .

Maybe you missed one ? This program is not free anymore but found a old freebie thru google , positive the link is fine and with in this sites rules .

http://downloads.gur...et=745#download

hempdiddy

hempdiddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nice work, thanks.

Turns out that my problem was common among users of the game with the same onboard audio adapter. The file causing the crashes was the driver for the nForce onboard audio. I updated the driver and have be BSOD free since.