Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista laptop print problem wireless

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
I recently bought an HP laptop with Vista Home Premium. I have an HP desktop running XP(sp2) and have a new HP C4280 printer attached to the desktop with USB. It works fine. I installed this printer on my new laptop, also with a USB connection so I could install the software. I am on high speed DSL connection with a wireless Westell VersaLink router/modem. I have selected the printer as default and shared on the desktop and have selected default on the laptop. When I try to print it gives me a port error(USB) I don't know how to change the settings so I can print wirelessly from my laptop

Advertisements

tomcat82453

tomcat82453

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First of all, you must verify that both computers are in the same workgroup and both are connected to the router. I assume that you have already enabled file and printer sharing on the desktop. Then on your laptop, do an add printer, select network printer. Assuming the printer share name is HPC4280, type \\host computer name\HPC4280. Since you already installed the printer driver on your laptop, it should be detected.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Thanks for your reply..I have the printer shared and went to laptop and added a network printer...I made sure the address syntax showed my desktop name and then printer name..it show sending a document to the printer, but it doesn't print or connect...I even tried to add a tcp/ip port named the same syntax and still nothing.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
I have a desktop running XP-SP2 with a USB printer. I recently bought a new laptop running Vista Home Premium. I am using a Bellsouth dsl wireless network...I want to be able to print wirelessly from my laptop. I installed the printer with USB to get the drivers on laptop. I then created a new local port for the printer and gave the location as "\desktop name\printer name"...when I try to print it does not give an error message and does not even show up in the print queue. I contact HP support and they supplied me with a file download for XP they said I needed. They then said the problem was in my network. I can ping my laptop after disabling Norton, but cannot ping my desktop. Bellsouth says I have another security program blocking..I went to msconfig and viewed my start programs and see nothing else..I had previously diisabled spysweeper.
What is your opinion??