Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen goes completely black when fully booted up

• Please log in to reply

AnnJS

AnnJS

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Like the subject says; my computer screen is completely black when fully booted up. It displays everything properly during the actual booting up, and also displays fine while in safe mode (which is what I'm currently on, in networking mode). And I know that the computer does indeed start, because I randomly clicked my mouse on the black screen and then heard the sound of one of the video files I have on my desktop. So it's there, just won't display anything at all.

At first I thought it was the monitor, because the little light on it is normally green -- but now, when fully booted up and with the black screen, it was the same yellow as it is when the computer is turned off. But considering that it's working fine now that I'm in safe mode, plus the fact that it displays everything while booting up, I don't think that's the case. I checked to make sure that no cables had fallen off or anything as well. I do have an old monitor somewhere on the attic though, if you think it'd be worth a shot to hook that up instead...?

I'm currently running a virus check (AVG Free), but so far it hasn't come up with anything -- and at this rate I don't think it will either.

I honestly have no idea what could be wrong here. Software, hardware, virus/malware, Windows issue... I have no idea. So I apologize if this is in the wrong forum :whistling:

Edited by AnnJS, 30 August 2007 - 10:31 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, can you do 2 little things for me,
- go into desk.cpl and change the resolution(desk control panel)
- go into devmgmt.msc and check the drivers(device manager)
my hunch is that you have lost the driver for the video card

if I am not making sense or no joy or it works please let us know

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ann! Long time no see... :whistling:

Let's check a couple of things and see if we can figure out what went wrong. Right click My Computer and choose "Properties"...click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button.

In Device Manager, expand (click +) Display Adapters, right click on your adapter, and choose "Properties". Does it report the device as "working properly"?

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hey there fleamailman, thanks for taking the time to help me out!

I tried to change the resolution, but it wouldn't let me. The window would pop up fine, and it would let me select a different resolution and everything, but when I clicked OK nothing actually changed.

I think the driver for the video card is there, but I'm not completely sure. I took a screenshot and attached it here so that you can see for yourself. The one that is clicked/highlighted is, loosely translated from Swedish, called "monitor card" so I think that's the same as the English "video card". I also tried right clicking it and trying to view its status, but it just told me that info was unavailable while in safe mode. There was also the option to right-click on it and "update drivers", should I try that?

Attached Thumbnails

• screencap.gif

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Why hello there wannabe1! Nice to see you again, even under these circumstances :whistling:

I didn't see your post before I made the previous reply, so just hang on and I'll check your suggestions. I'll edit this post with the info as soon as I'm done.

EDIT: Hm, my biggest problem is (yet again!) the English-to-Swedish translation. Display Adapters would be the one that lists the video card, right? The one that was highlighted/clicked in the screenshot I just posted? If that's the one, then it won't let me see what the status is :blink: It just tells me that the status isn't available when Windows is being run in safe mode, and that's it. There's options to update driver and uninstall it and a couple of others (though maybe it won't let me do those either in safe mode, I don't know), should I try clicking any of those?

Edited by AnnJS, 30 August 2007 - 02:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like you've already been there and weren't allowed to see the properties.

Let's see if it's loading a corrupt driver from the Prefetch. Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". Click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All". Right click on a selected file and choose "Delete". Accept the change.

Go back to Device Manager, right click on your video adapter, and choose "Uninstall". Accept the change.

Reboot. It will take 3 or 4 boots to completely repopulate the Prefetch with fresh files, but the first one should reinstall the video adapter.

Let me know how this goes.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
now that wanabe1 has seen this post I can have over, I feel it is just reinstalling the driver but follow his advice

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
fleamailman: Gotcha! Thank you for your help!

wannabe1: That did the trick!!!! Oh boy, I am sooo relieved right now. I wasn't expecting it to be something so simple (well, simple to you guys :blink:; I never would've figured it out). Thank you so very much, once again. I'm starting to think you're my guardian angel or something :whistling:

Edited by AnnJS, 30 August 2007 - 02:55 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Always a pleasure Ann... :whistling: