Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Installation Freezing

• Please log in to reply

FahrenheitX

FahrenheitX

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed a new 80 gig hard drive into an Emachine. I proceeded to install xp home edition w/sp2. After deleting the partition and creating a new one, the Full format went well as it should, as did the file copying. However, after the files are copied, the system reboots like normal, and then the Windows loading screen with the moving bar appears. The bar moves across twice, and on the third time around it just stops/freezes at the end of the third pass. I cannot figure out why it keeps freezing. This is all before the fancy windows install screen. It doesn't even get that far. I have tried this a number of times now and does the same thing each try. All hardware seems fine. I've been through the BIOS config and everything is configured right. Any ideas on what's causing it to freeze?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What was the reasoning behind the replacement of the hard drive?
How old is this eMachines and what sort of power supply brand does it have in it?

FahrenheitX

FahrenheitX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The hard drive was replaced because it was so bad it wouldn't let me do a "chkdsk /r". It said something like there were too many errors to continue. Basically, the last hard drive was not functionable. It's not too old of an emachine. As for the powersupply, its a Delta Electronics 280watt. Right now I'm installing xp pro just to see if it does the same thing. If xp pro works, perhaps its the OS itself. But i'll keep ya updated.

FahrenheitX

FahrenheitX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I still have this computer and was wondering if anyone else can help?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How old is the machine?
Bear in mind if you've wiped it a few times and it's doing the same thing on two different hard drives, this usually points to an issue with the motherboard. Nothing in an eMachines tends to last more than three years because its such poor quality in the first place.