Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which direction should the CPU fan blow?

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I can't really find a conclusive answer on this. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 processor with the stock heatsink and fan; does the fan blow warm air away from the heatsink, or does it blow cooler air down into the heatsink? Also connected to that question: - I am fitting a side case fan, so which way should that blow, towards or away from the CPU/motherboard?

Many thanks

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well here is what I have always done. The cpu fan should be blowing warm air away from the CPU. So that fan should be blowing away from it.

The other fans I usually have a big one in the back under the power supply blowing out of the case, one in the front of the case blowing air inside the case, and the one on the side blowing out of the case away from the cpu.

Here is a small diagram

Edited by jaxisland, 30 August 2007 - 12:53 PM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK, I already have 2x12cm case fans, one low at the front and one high at the back.
I have an ASUS motherboard which uses something called Q-Fan, which is supposed to adjust the CPU fan speed according to the temperature. I have set it to "Performance" mode which is supposed to be the coolest, and my Core 2 Duo is at 51 degrees at idle with the CPU fan speed at around 850rpm. Is something wrong here - I don't think I trust Q-Fan... How should I be regulating my CPU fan? Do most people just leave it on max?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
With the low cost of fans today I run mine at max speed and leave it there. If you dont trust it just set it manually.