Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet/Wireless/LAN WAN not working on only one pc

• Please log in to reply

Carys

Carys

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Works fine on my pc, however, it suddenly won't work on my sisters (nothing has changed... it seems random).

We have tried two different cords so I don't believe that is the problem. Status shows that it IS connecting to the internet, and that there are no problems, however, nothing at all will load. It is connected to the LAN WAN slot in the modem.

We also tried wireless, which is all I use, and it results in a "weak connection" which doesn't allow us to do anything at all either.

It is an Efficient Networks modem from Bell.

She is on Windows XP.

Sorry, I'm not sure what other info to provide--if you need anything else, just ask. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

googlymoogly

googlymoogly

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi carys, I will try to help you but this will be my first time helping someone over the forums so bear with me.

Have you installed any programs recently? I'm assuming rebooting the computer doesn't help the situation.

Run ipconfig/all on your computer and let me know what it says for your wireless adapter, then do the same thing on the computer that IS working, and post that.

Carys

Carys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, thank you for your help. :whistling: I entered the command, but it says that "Windows cannot find "ipconfig/all"."

Edit -- I tried "IPCONFIG /all" and it worked, however the window opened for just a second and disappeared almost immediately.

Edited by Carys, 31 August 2007 - 02:05 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Do start > CMD > enter > ipconfig /all

Carys

Carys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, it worked! :whistling:

From my computer (working):
http://s43.photobuck...current=111.jpg

From her computer (not working):
http://s43.photobuck...current=222.jpg

So again, my regular connection doesn't work (because I haven't installed the software; I just use wireless). So if we could even just get wireless to work on her pc that'd be great. Thanks a bunch. :blink:

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
A lot of problems like the one you are describing result from a corrupt Winsock setting.To reset your Winsock go to Start then Run then type in cmd then type: netsh winsock reset catalog and hit Enter. Close the command prompt and try connecting to the internet again.