Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another LAN Limited or no connectivity problem

• Please log in to reply

tomcat82453

tomcat82453

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
've been trying to help a couple of friends with identical problems. They both have Comcast cable internet but are using a netgear and a linksys wireless routers. The laptops are using Windows Xp Pro with SP2. They both have 2 desktop PC's that are connected to the network and are working, one wired and the other one with wireless PCI card. The laptops suddenly cannot obtain an IP from the router no matter how many times I did an ipconfig /release and renew. I also did a NETSH WINSOCK RESET CATALOG. I also downloaded WinsockXPfix and ran the program but still get the error limited or no connectivity with a yellow triangle and exclamation point on the icon in the system tray. One weird thing is the other friend's laptop cannot connect to the internet even when connected via ethernet cable.
I've done this fix before and I don't know why it won't work this time. I also downloaded and installed an MS patch windows xp KB-884020 to no avail. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Has anyone resolved this issue?
Tom

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
turn off the modem, router, and PC

then turn the modem back on...wait for all the lights to normalize...then turn on the router....wait for all the lights to normalize on the router...then turn on the PC (connected via ethernet)

any change?

tomcat82453

tomcat82453

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your speedy reply. Those steps were the ones I took first. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier.