Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE / SATA drive problem

• Please log in to reply

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi folks,

I have a wee problem when trying to install a second hard drive ! :tazz:

I have a 200gb Maxtor hd already installed as Master but connected via a SATA connection so my DVD-ROM and DVD-RW are both connected to IDE 1 as master and slave respecitvely. I installed a Hitachi Deskstar (which is stamped as IBM on the actual drive !?) into IDE 2 and set the jumper to slave as I thought the SATA drive would still be master but then when I booted the pc up, it only recognised the SATA connection. Both the DVD drives weren't there and the second hard drive didn't appear either. Does anyone know what would cause this ? I was thinking that I'd need to set the IDE HD to master as its the only hd that's connected by IDE but didn't think that would work !

The Motherboard is a Gigabyte Pentium 4 Titan Series GA-8IPE1000 Series.

Any help would be greatly received !

Edited by Hello_Moto, 14 April 2005 - 11:06 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
This could be a BIOS problem (needs latest BIOS revision for that mobo) but I stress it COULD be the problem, because all I've read is exactly opposite to what you've said --- the ATA drives are recognised but not the SATA ones.
This is from Gigabyte themselves:
http://tw.giga-byte....GA-8IPE1000.htm

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for this pip22 - I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest version and it's not made any difference although I thought it would. Anybody any other ideas ? I'm kinda stuck on this one now ! :tazz:

This is the drive im trying to add - Deskstar Jumper Page and I have it set as '16 Logical Head Settings' 'Device 1 (Slave)', is this correct ?

Edited by Hello_Moto, 14 April 2005 - 03:13 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You need to have the IDE hard drive on the primary channel (IDE 1) & the optical drives on the second channel.
Master/slave configuration doesn't exist with sata drives, as you only have one drive per sata channel.
As far as I know, you should be able to set the IDE drive as a master, so do this & make sure it's on the end connector on the IDE cable.

Check in the bios that both IDE controllers are enabled & that the bios is detecting the IDE drive.

Let us know how you get on with this....

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks Samm,

I set the Sata port in the bios to 0 and it worked ! Set the Primary IDE to master too and its working away. Thanks for all your help !