Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive capacity wrong. [SELF-SOLVED]

• Please log in to reply

End

End

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm sure this was asnwered before, if so just point me in the direction of the post.

I recenly built 3 computers, all with new components. There are two computers exactly the same with an ASUS P5K-VM, with 1GB of Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300 667 MHz (512MB x 2), and a Intel Core 2 Duo E440 2.00 GHz 800 MHz. These two computers have 2 Western Digial Caviar SE 160GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drives each. Only one of the HDD is installed currently.

The Third computer is a gaming computer, which has an ASUS P5N32-E SLI, with 2GB of Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300 667 MHz (1GB x 2), and an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz 1333MHz. This computer only has 1 Western Digial Caviar SE 360GB 7200RPM STAT Hard Drive. It also has an ATI Radeon x1650 PRO 512MB video card, and an Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Pro sound card.

All of the computers have Windows XP, but only one has SP2 on it (the one I am currently working on/have a problem with. All of them have this problem though).

Anyways this is my problem: The one I am working on (one of the non-gaming ones) currently displays the hard drive as only having 127 GB of space (as mentioned before it should have 160GB). Right now I only have one of the Hard Drives hooked up. Mind you, I look all over the internet for a solution to this. I first found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013 . So I installed SP2 (it says SP1 or later). I know enough that it wouldn't happen automatically so I ran Windows XP setup again to see if I could partition the "lost space". It still had the same amount of space listed in the partition creation screen as it when I was installing Windows the first time. So then I searched the internet some more, and came up with nothing. Now even though I am currently working on one computer, and that computer only has SP2, all the computers have the problem. All the computers list 127GB as the HDD capacity. All I want to do is make it so they all display their correct values without formatting the drives if at all possible.

I know there is a way to fix this, because I had a computer brought in for service a while ago (not these computers, a differnt one), and they said that had to get me a new Hard Drive, as the current one died. So I said I'll buy a 320GB one, and they installed it, and when I booted it up, it had 2 partions, a 80, and 240 one. Now from process of elimination I gather that they have got past the 127 GB barrier. So how do I do it?

tl;dr: My hard drives are displaying only 127GB on all three of my computers, how do I make them show their correct amounts of 160GB and 320GB? (read above for more details, you lazy people)

Thanks in advanced.

-End.

Edit: installed second HDD in the computer with SP2 in it. The drive is not detected in Windows, but it detected in the BIOS. In the BIOS they are both displayed as to be able to hold 160GB. Windows still only shows 1 hard drive holding only 127GB.

Edited by End, 31 August 2007 - 03:42 PM.

Advertisements

End

End

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
SOLVED: I misread the Western Digital software. I thought it was just to save you in the event of a crash so I didn't install it. Upon reading the documentation, I found out it creates partitions. Everything is working now. Thanks to all the people who who didn't help me.

-End.