Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG scheduled task in Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello everyone,

My parents just got a new computer and I'm setting it up for them, you know hooking it up, taking the unnecessary programs off, putting necessary ones on, and I ran into a snag.

I'm trying to set up the AVG Free scheduled task so that my parents won't have to worry about it so much. Now I set up the scheduler in AVG to the desired times, but I did a test (set one to start in a minutes time) and it didn't go. Now I knew how to fix this in xp, but I can't seem to figure it out on Vista with the new fangled scheduler. Help is appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a good guide on what processes I could prevent to speed the pc up a little, would be good too. Since I don't know what Vista needs to run properly and what can be turned off in MSCONFIG.

Thanks again.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
AVG scheduled tasks you can set up from within AVG itself as opposed to using the Windows scheduler.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Yes, I know that. That's where I set them. But they don't run when they are supposed to, and I'm just wondering if there is something special in vista that you have to do.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Which version of AVG is it? AVG is Vista compatible in all areas from version 7.5 build 441.

Having said that, this might be of interest:

Use Windows task scheduler, disable the one in AVG and make a new task in Task Scheduler with the command to run of:

"C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgw.exe" /test="Complete Test"

This should also work in Vista.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Yes, that worked perfectly. Could you tell me the proper code for the update sequence too? one that doesn't require confirmation from the user?