Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change my board, but retain my xp settings etc?

• Please log in to reply

LIZMERRILL

LIZMERRILL

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
i am running a box with stats:
win xp pro sp2
800 mhz amd duron
512 mg of sdram
microstar MS6378 board 100mhz bus.
160gb hd ntfs

can i do this, and what complications :
i want to change the board, processor, and memory to something more current, e.g.,
3 ghz intel or celerion processor, with ddr ram.

Can i just change the board with new processor and memory, and still boot up from
my 160 gb hd my win xp and retain everything from before,but with new performance?

Liz

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can perform xp repair installation during which the new hardware will be registered. For this you will need installation disk of XP SP2, the product key of the present installation and the drivers disk of the new motherboard. Please bear in mind that xp repairs do not always end up successfully. If you wish to do this you look at the instructions in the link down in my list of programs.