Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One Button Checkup Question

• Please log in to reply

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Recently with the help of one amazing person here on these boards I was able to remove several nasty infected files from my computer.

Now I like to use One Button Checkup from Norton Systemworks. And after I removed a bunch of bad files, OBC wanted to return them. If I allow it to do so will I be putting infected files back on my computer or will it put clean versions of them back?

The items in question are registry and program relevant items. A bunch of shared dll's, some invalid file extensions. I am sure your gonna need more info, but tis alot of things to type out. Hope this here is enough to help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

Occasionally the system file check does not start using run, so you can also right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then click OK

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Re-run one button clean up, if it still wants to replace files, can you post a list

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I apologize for taking so long to reply. Ive had alot of work this last week and today was the first chance I have had to get to this. I ran what you said to run, then ran One Button Checkup. There were alot of items that it wanted to fix so I took screenshots.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I hope placing these images in the post is ok. In the ActiveX Files, the OutlookExpress\satecip14835.dll file was infected and deleted. The other two programs, Dungeon Crafter and the Cleaner were uninstalled and deleted.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From the developer

Hello,

My name's Martyn Lovell, and I'm the development lead of the team that produces msvcr80.dll [The Visual C++ Libraries team].

First, Norton WinDoctor is wrong. It incorrectly reports that msvcr80 is missing when in fact it is correctly installed in the WinSxS directly in the windows. folder. If you own WinDoctor, you should report this bug to them so that they get it fixed.

Second, this website (http://www.dll-files...s.shtml?msvcr80) is definitely not the right place to get msvcr80.dll. You should get your copy of msvcr80.dll from the same place that you got the application that uses it. msvcr80.dll is distributed with applications.

Third, that website actually has a beta 2 copy of msvcr80.dll, which won't work for the released versions of the .NET runtime and may cause problems if used. If you have this copy on your system, you should remove it.

Fourth, you should not put msvcr80.dll in Anyway, I downloaded the file and put it in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727. The DLL does not belong in there, and may cause problems if used from that location.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions, as I don't read this forum regularly.

Martyn Lovell
Development Lead
Visual C++ Libraries

Can you set one button clean up to ignore msvcr80.dll then run it

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I can tell it to ignore the msvcr80.dll. Is it ok to let it fix the rest of the things or should I just ignore it all? When I install a new version of Framework should I dump old versions like when I update Java? That would seemingly get rid of most of these problems.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run Microsoft Update to check you have updates for .net framework

Best to leave existing versions of .net framework installed

Does one button have a restore or undo option?

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
My Framework is up to date. The One Button Checkup (which is a couple years old I should add) can return missing files to the programs. I dont know if it can undo fixes though. I have not seen anything that would suggest that it could. That was the reason I left this question in the first place. It wanted to replace a file that I deleted because it was infected with a virus. I wanted to know if I replaced the deleted file if I would be returning the infected file to my computer. I do not know where the msvcr80.dll problem came from. I am totally confused on that one.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter

Reboot when the scan completes, run one button

Is the outlook express file the only one you are concerned with