Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with Internet Explorer 7 32-bit in Vista 64-bit

• Please log in to reply

SINK

SINK

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Internet Explorer 7 32-bit will not start but the 64-bit version works fine. Other browsers work fine too (Firefox and Opera). I don't know what the problem is and as far as I know there is no way to re-install IE7 without re-installing Vista.

I only just installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I was running the 32-bit version and I preformed a clean install, which I think you have to anyway when going form 32-bit to 64-bit.

Anyone come across this problem before? Or can you think of a possible solution short of re-installing Vista?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a known problem on 64-bit Vista and it shouldn't be happening but it does happen on certain system setups.

Having said that, this error could also be caused by the computer having too much memory for 32-bit IE7 to talk to. How much memory do you have?

SINK

SINK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
4gb of main memory.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well there you go then. 32-bit programs tend to fall over at a point below the 4gb mark, typically around 3Gb.
So your only real solution is not to use IE7 32-bit.

SINK

SINK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Alright thanks for the help.

whoslw

whoslw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had this same problem but I only have 2G of memory in my system. Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to reninstall vista. :)

Sam