Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about laptops..

• Please log in to reply

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I just got my first laptop and I have a question about charging..

It's a Dell Vostro and I read in the manual that I can leave the laptop hooked up to the charger as long as I want as it won't overheat, but I have a question when charging. Right now I am using the laptop as it is charging but if I were to charge the laptop without being on it, is it better to shut down the laptop or to just put it on standby? What do you guys do..? I am about to go to bed and I'll probably leave it connected to the charger but should I shut it down or just do stand by? BTW I'm using Windows Vista..

Thanks

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Shutting it down all the way will charge the laptop the fastest. Also Vista has good Power Options, from Power saver to balanced to performance.

Edited by jackflash1991, 01 September 2007 - 12:19 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
jackflash is right, if you shut it off completely it will charge the fastest. It really doesn't matter, though whether it's off or on or in standby or whatever, it will get charged up no worries. :whistling: