Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

If I were to run DSL (small linux) on a window comp...

• Please log in to reply

Lord Omega

Lord Omega

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am on my dad's work computer and I don't wanna destroy his comp and cause him trouble. Will DSL cause some sort of problem?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, sorry is your question how to boot up on your father's computer without effecting his system, or are you asking that once booted up on your key will it somehow effect your father system, the first question is to change the firstboot where possible to external harddrive device(or whatever it calls it, newer computer ofter offer that option) if that option is out there are programs one can on use on either a bootable floppy or CD that can instruct the computer to boot to the external harddrive, eitherway this bypasses your dad's system so he shouldn't notice unless you expressly go into his system from linux, in fact I feel you are better using your key on his system because if you just used his system(without your key and linux) if the computer catches malware he will soon blame you even if it is not your fault whereas this way you are clean

Edited by fleamailman, 03 September 2007 - 02:46 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
puppy linux is the is the one you want ...instructions are here...get the multi session version...that way it will save everything back to the CD/DVD that your booting with...then boot from the CD drive and it runs totally in ram and when you shut off the computer ...poof everything is gone...just like you were never there..
burn the .ISO file to a DVD...gives you tons of room for "stuff"
I haven't tried burning it to a dual layer DVD yet...

Lord Omega

Lord Omega

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
too late, my dad's comp won't boot anymore....... It kept on saying the boot key was gone or something

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

I am on my dad's work computer and I don't wanna destroy his comp and cause him trouble. Will DSL cause some sort of problem?

NO as long as you don't try to write data to the hard drive. The NTFS 3g drivers work but this may not be the time to find out that there can be problems with the drivers.

The problem with many lightweight distros is what can't be put into them. Java and Flash are not there and web features that use them don't work. If you need an office productivity suite these also get the short end of the stick. Developmental packages like compilers for building packages aren't there either. You can "Roll your own" with Custom NimbleX and still keep it down to a single CD.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
silverbeard, nice idea, is there a distro forum that goes with nimblex, thanks,

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The problem with many lightweight distros is what can't be put into them. Java and Flash are not there and web features that use them don't work. If you need an office productivity suite these also get the short end of the stick.

I have to disagree there
Puppy linux handles java and flash with no problem...it has Abiword for the lite stuff and Chubby puppy has Openoffice for the heavy lifting...
you save your work to the cd or dvd you booted with and NOTHING is left on the hard drive...no trace that you where ever there...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
take out the cd, go into safemode choose "last known good configuration" and boot up into it, should be back to normal, the live CD should not touch your dad's system