Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

square-1. i need a computer

• Please log in to reply

Siebenboy

Siebenboy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey everyone!

Ok, so I'm moving off to college and need to buy my first very own computer (probably a laptop). I'm looking at spending about $1,000. maybe a little more.

How can I get the best bang for my buck? I like MacBooks, but ... i dunno. And with the whole Vista issue (issues, that is), I may go for XP if I get a non-Apple product.

I want it to be fast (duh), and I'd like a DVD-RW drive. Someone recommended against Sony VAIO because of all the extra software or something that comes with it. What I like about Macs is the fact that I've never seen one lock up or be real slow. :whistling:

Anyway, opinions anyone?

THANK YOU

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Vista is not that bad. It does have 1 or 2 issues with some programs but most are fine. And the SP1 that is coming out will make that number even smaller. I'm not a big fan of apple.

PS: I would not invest in an out of date OS like XP.

Edited by jackflash1991, 01 September 2007 - 01:17 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
keep you money, you'll need that for all those books, just grab the first windows98se computer that someone foolishly gives you thinking its outdated, chuck windows and install kubuntu linux by first trying the live cd to see if all the drivers work, and then when all is running sweet just press the install icon on the screen, a few questions and some time later its installed to your harddrive, honestly simple as that, now for networking you will need to buy either a MSI wifi usb key or a zyxel wifi usb key(I have not found others yet that work yet), you will need also to become a member of the forum that goes with kubuntu since you will have questions that are worth learning, ah and this is my real point for only the price of a WIFI usb key, you will have a computer that is both malwarefree and simple, you will have open office meaning word format, excel format, and save in PDF, it will play mp3s, view streams of youtube,etc., and above all it will work for as long as the computer lasts, and since it was running window98se when you received it, that says years and years, besides imagine if you spill coffee on it or drop it like a lot of students here do, or someone takes it when you are not looking, all that you have lost is a wifi usb key, sorry I don't what 65 swiss francs is in dollars, Anyway might just be me but I feel that a lot of older computers are built more robustly than modern ones, also every older computer reused saves on needless waste

Edited by fleamailman, 01 September 2007 - 02:28 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well seeing as you asked for opinions, I do like macs for the simple things - they are great for university studies and such. Also fleamailman's option is good, but you will need to spend some time getting used to the "linux" way of doing things.