Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no bios?

• Please log in to reply

msRiot

msRiot

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have a friends pc that I work on "yearly" - usually it just requires a reinstall of windows (guy isn't computer literate - no firewall, minimal antivirus) This time it's different.

Last time I worked on it, I installed a new HD & reinstalled windows. 3 days later he decided to use "limewire" and download music. Apparently he left it on all night while his music was downloading. :whistling: When he got up in the morning the pc was rebooting itself. It would get to the load screen then reboot. I figured he had a virus. - I gave him instructions on how to reinstall windows - but it wouldn't take the cd, (of course as I had the bios set to start by the HD - not the cd) nor could he get into safe mode. This was a few months ago. He's been without a pc since then as I told him I refused to work on it til he bucked up and bought a firewall and/or decent antivirus. However..........I went over last night. I turned it on, pressed the delete key to get into the bios to change the boot order...and nothing. All I got was a beeping when pressing the delete key. I checked all the connections inside, everything was secure. It's a refurbished pc - the guy got totally ripped off when he bought it - the components that were "in" his pc were NOT what was on his receipt.

HD? or Motherboard? (told him to buy a NEW pc ....lol)

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
While the computer was first loading how many beeps did you get? ie 1 long 2 short, 4 short, etc.
Also, do you know the specs of this computer, a motherboard model number?

:whistling:

msRiot

msRiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
only one short beep that's it. Then it just beeped when I pressed the delete key. As for specs...not off hand. I know it's a Pent IV, with an Asus motherboard...one of the older ones. It has an ATI Radeon Graphics card 9000. It has Win 2000 installed on it.
I thought I had all the specs saved on my pc for that one...but guess not...lol I've attached the word doc for the 4 in 1 drivers that I have for that motherboard. Hopefully you can pull something off that.

Attached Files

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi,
I'd start with checking the keyboard, try putting a different one in.
If that fails try resetting the bios.

:whistling:

Edited by sarahw, 01 September 2007 - 08:15 PM.

msRiot

msRiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
nope...don't think so...new keyboard. (It works as I used it home just before I went over) Can't get into the bios to change it..."hence the reason I'm on this site asking" :whistling:

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Did you try resetting the Bios?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
If your board has a Clear CMOS jumper, you can short the pins to clear the Data to its default values. To clear CMOS, temporarily short the two pins usually located above the battery (they are often marked Clear or Reset CMOS or BIOS). If your board doesn't include the jumper, you can take out the Battery to leak Voltage to clear the CMOS.
  • Turn off the power.
  • Disconnect the power cord from the computer.
  • Open the side of the computer and locate the battery. Take out the battery and gently put it aside for about 1 minute.
  • Re-insert the battery to the battery holder.
  • Connect the power cord to the computer again and turn on the power.
  • Press 'del' to enter BIOS and load Fail-Safe Defaults (or load Optimized Defaults).
  • Save changes and reboot the system.

Edited by sarahw, 01 September 2007 - 09:00 PM.

msRiot

msRiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm sorry Sara, you're not helping me. I can't get in to reset the bios!!!!!!!!! That is what I'm was trying to do. Perhaps you should re-read my post or let someone else help me.

Thanks.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
How to clear - reset the BIOS

There are several ways to clear the BIOS here are 2 most common

1. Most common change the jumper on motherboard (see picture) these very from board to board so you need to read the manual for each board

2. Take out the battery for 30 minutes

This is what Sarahw is talking about you do not need to be IN the Bios

Edited by peter99, 02 September 2007 - 10:11 AM.

msRiot

msRiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ahhh ty..this is something new for me.

msRiot

msRiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I didn't see her 2nd post :whistling: