Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Build Video Problem

• Please log in to reply

Stevie_G

Stevie_G

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: Started buliding my first system three weeks ago. Everything went fine until I powered up. After a few seconds in the POST, the system begins to emit the dash-dot-dot (1 long, 2 short) BIOS beep code, which from what I read indicates a defective video card. Nothing dispalys on the monitor, and I can't even get into the BIOS set-up. I have also tried reseting the CMOS. Nada. So I packed it up, RMAed it back to Newegg, and they sent me a replacement...and it's doing the same thing. I'm sure it is possible to get successive bad video cards, but the law of averages would be seem to be against it. Are there any other possible problems/solutions that might be going over my limited-knowledge head? :blink:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Might be defective card but more likely that your computer doesn't like the new card for whatever reason.

What motherboard do you have and what graphics card are you putting into it?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go!

To add to Neil's questions, what power supply do you have? Have you double checked all the connections (power and data)?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Something to think about:

If you're trying to add a Radeon X300/X300 SE/X600 card, quite a lot of boards don't like these cards.