Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Stopped working

• Please log in to reply

bcboarder

bcboarder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was doing something a few weeks ago, not quite sure what it was, and i was constantly having to restart my computer. I cold booted it quite a few times in a short period, and it stopped working. My problem is, I dont know what the problem is. All the LED's and fans run and everything appears normal. I plugged the hard drive into another computer, it detects it.. My idea is that it would be a shot motherboard or video card, so I put in another AGP video card, and it still has no video output. The monitor works fine. Only thing I think it could be is the motherboard, but I dont know how to test that. Any tips or ideas on what to try out? thanks.

Advertisements

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
do you hear any beeps when you turn your computer on? This could mean that your video card is broken.

bcboarder

bcboarder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
no, i dont. but i tried another video card in it that i'm sure works... and still no luck. maybe it wont work without drivers?

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
try moving your RAM into different slots and then try turning your PC back on, see if you get any beeps then or if your computer starts working.

Also check the connections on your RAM when moving them and make sure none of the connections are black (Meaning they have been fried by your motherboard)

I had the same problem a few weekends ago and it ended up being one of my RAM was fried.