Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows millenium failure

• Please log in to reply

Mossstock

Mossstock

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, ime John, not at all computer 'minded' and need help please. We have a HP Pavilion 7340P with Windows millenium, that we bought second hand which has decided to stop working on us. It starts up, shows the millenium page and then tells me that i need to insert the 'Emergency boot up Disc'. It will go no futher than this. When we got the computer, there was not any discs with it, so i dont know what to do. can anyone kindly help please? I have had a look inside at the mother board thing, and can see REV HA1 if that helps any.

all help and suggestions sincerely appreciated, thank you,

John

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
As Windows ME is a notoriously bad operating system (probably the worst version of Windows that Microsoft ever released) I would take this opportunity to get hold of a copy of Windows 98 or preferably 98SE and install that instead. You can find it in the classified ads of the weekly 'Micro Mart' magazine on the back pages under 'Software for sale'. The mag is published every thursday.

Edited by pip22, 02 September 2007 - 04:43 AM.

Mossstock

Mossstock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Pip,

thanks very much. I have a disc for 98se and 2000 pro, but how do i get them to load please when the computer wont go any further than it does now? Sincere thanks,

John

Mossstock

Mossstock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi again Pip. I am getting the message as follows; cannot find system INI.

boot with Emergency Boot Disc and type SCANREG/RESTORE.

i can't bet it to go any further than this.

Any help or advice sincerely appreciated,

Thank you,

John.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First use your Windows ME emergency boot disk to do a format of the C: drive thus:

1. boot from the emergency boot disc

2. At the command prompt, type FORMAT C: (then press Enter)

3. When format is finished, insert the Windows 98SE CD, give it a few seconds to spin up, then at the command prompt change the drive letter to that which your CD-ROM uses (usually it's D:), so type D: (then press Enter).

4. Now type SETUP (then press Enter).

The Windows 98SE installation should start.

Edited by pip22, 02 September 2007 - 06:24 AM.

Mossstock

Mossstock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Pip. thats my big problem, i did not get an emergency boot disc with th pc when we got it second hand. is there any way round this please?

Thanks again,
John.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
You can get boot disks from

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

all you need is a floppy or two and access to the internet, choose the one you need and download the file, insert a floppy run the exe to create a bootdisk.

Choose if you want 98 or ME disks

Windows 98 SE OEM or Windows Me OEM not the custom ones

Guide to

Microsoft's Windows 98 SE - Floppy and CD Install on Blank Hard Drive

http://www.windowsre...loppy/index.htm

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Also, why not install Windows 2000? A lot more of the new modern software requires Windows 2000 or higher because you said you had a copy of Windows 2000 pro and its a very good OS I used it in the past and it works very well. You just pop in the cd and it will do the formatting for you.

Mossstock

Mossstock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks very much for all your help. i have now loaded Windows 2000 and its working well.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Glad to hear it! :whistling: