Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer powers on but won't boot into BIOS

• Please log in to reply

dannyrod

dannyrod

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Heeeeeeeeeello peoples!

My computer turns on and everything powers up ok, but it doesn't even boot into BIOS, the keyboard/mouse lights flicker once but then turn off and stay off, and it just seems like no information's getting sent out of the computer.

I've tried reseating every cable and component (CPU, video card, both sticks of RAM, etc.) in the computer, I've tried clearing the CMOS, and I tried every combination of starting up the computer with various components in and out as possible. Any idea on what I should do? Is it the motherboard?

Thanks mis amigos,
Danno

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you've tried booting it with nothing plugged in except the CPU, the heatsink and the fan (and the power supply obviously) and you have a speaker connected and there is no response, chances are the board is indeed dead. However have you tried a new power supply?

Edited by Neil Jones, 02 September 2007 - 03:48 AM.

dannyrod

dannyrod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No I haven't tried a new power supply yet, but would that be the problem if it's clearly supplying power to all the components and getting everything up and running? Thanks for your response!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your power supply may have a faulty rail (a rail is a certain voltage level regulated to a fixed amount, typically 12v, 5v and 3.3v), its no good if it powers everything else but isn't providing the mainboard with enough juice. Add to that some motherboards are fussy if they find the power supply isn't providing enough power on certain rails.