Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

netgear cg814wg v2 problem

• Please log in to reply

Hershey-Squirt

Hershey-Squirt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just moved into a new apartment and got Comcast internet and they gave me a netgear cg814wg v2. I also play on xbox live and when i play i get disconnecte, but its wierd because i can get on in the fis=rst place nd some games are ok. I can't even finish one game without getting diconnected and when i do get disconnected, the entire modem and everything connected loses connection, and then it comes back on a short time after. I know for a fact that its not the xbox or live, or tgame because they all work at different locations and at my other house we also have comcast and it works perfectly there. 3 of my last 4 appointments with comcast they just never showed up so i was sitting around waiting for 4 hours each time. Really need to fix this and if this doesnt work im just going to get a new modem because comcast is very unreliable, only problem is that they are the only ISP in this specific location. Pleasehelp and thank you in advance.

Advertisements

thatswhat

thatswhat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
yeah, that modem/router, is a P.O.S. I watched my modem as i played halo in the match making mode. the first time would always work. but after that, this P.O.S would drop. drop off line over and over i tested it a few time. So before i bought another modem i tested my very old RCA modem with a on and off switch. called the cable company, swapped the mac add, and watched. Never dropped once. don't know if its that model or what?? that one is junk

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
It might just be the settings on your routers
Did you even check them?

ReikoValdez

ReikoValdez

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have the same gateway and problem and what i did which i did week ago actually and it worked ask comcast for a Linksys Gateway and it will fix the problem. Also the netgear doesnt let you change its settings their hardcoded in is what i heard and i also tried anyway and it doens't work so that gateway is pretty much a white coffin if you get one immediately demand a different one is all i can say. its impossible to to change or work with on any xbox or computer.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Before we go replacing hardware, I'd like to explore other alternatives... I'm not sure what Comcast did on these appointments, but I'd like to see you give this a shot... Try forwarding your ports. This will more-less open the ports needed and hopefully allow traffic to flow properly. Click here for detailed instructions.

ReikoValdez

ReikoValdez

• Pip
  • 3 posts
sry thatn doesnt work because xbox doesnt need its ports open its the games on xbox that you can't access most of the time and they don't have ports listed to open and besides that opening ports doesnt help you connect to xbox either way for some reason on a netgear. trust me ive had 10 appointments within a month and a hath to fix this i already have worked all the angles and trust me it was frustrating.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I could never believe it's impossible. In fact, it IS possible, perhaps not exactly on this router, but on Netgear itself. Have a look at this article. Looks like some routers work flawlessly with XBOX Live. Now, the firmware drivers shown there do not match the router we're troubleshooting, however, we're about to try something new.

Hershey-Squirt, please login to your router's administration panel which you did earlier when forwarding ports. There should be a prompt somewhere (sometimes on the first page) for you to check for Firmware updates. Do you see this option?

ReikoValdez

ReikoValdez

• Pip
  • 3 posts
that could fix a problem but only problem with that is since hes using a comcast router/ gateway they use their own firmware which means you can't update it otherwise it probaly won't work and besides that i know their isn't something like that on that page seeing as how me and him have the same gateway

captama2ing

captama2ing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, I've been having the same issues with Comcast and the same router. I did try the port forwarding to no avail. It corrected the connection issue only to change the NAT from open to strict. This does not allow online gaming as you all probably know. What makes me upset is the fact that before installation I asked them to supply me with a router that would work for playing xbox 360 online. Which they did not. Any other ideas before I just go get a new one? I don't want to waste more time waiting on them to provide me with some other piece o crap.

E.Ninja

E.Ninja

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, was googling updates for my cg814wg v2 from comcast (either from comcast or a off site) when i found this post. Im a comcast in house tech (3) and i install all the products that comcast offers.

The routers do actually use a provider given firmware. what this means is we have our own interface when you log into the router. There arent many issues that i have been having with my gateway other than the fact that when my PC's are connected it only shows 1 (thus me looking for a UPG).

To help you on your way with your issue with xbox live i would suggest this; If your online gaming it up and you get dropped IMEDIATLY check the gateway to see if its connected to the internet. If you arent connected to the internet then you might have issues with the inside wiring (ingress on the line or low signal to the mod) or even the gateway itself. If you are connected to the internet still then you might want to fowards the ports (BTW all things use ports when accessing the internet) and if you dont know what ports to foward allow DMZ on the xbox (DMZ is to remove any firewall security/giving access to whatever to wherever w/o having to foward the ports).

Now another thing you can check into when you log into the router access is the signal itself. All you have to do is goto the "technician setup" link on the banner, then hit "next" (first set of settings are just wireless security), now right above "finish" there is a link that says "DOCSIS" go ahead and click that and it will open a seperate window, on the new pop up window up top click "DEVICE STATUS" - In this window you want to look at the downstream power & SNR as well the upstream power level. The downstream should be sitting between 0 dBmV - 10 dBmV and SNR (signal to noise ratio) between 30-50, the upstream should be sitting between 40-55. If any of those are out of spec then you have line issues (inside or out its up to tech to figure that out).

If the signal is good then you might have a faulty gateway (if you keep getting disconnected, confirm the modem is actually offline).

In my dead honest opinion, rent a modem and buy a wireless router. Why? Becuase you control the firmware that goes on it as well as the settings are all on your shoulder and not another company you are renting it from. Plus its cheaper in the long run (gateway rentals are a lil more per month and the installation fee (in this area) is $100).

If you dont know how to setup a wireless router then yes rent a gateway from your cable provider so they can help set it up, but dont rely on them to actually bend over backwards to get you up and going on EVERY device you hook into because thats where ALL providers draw the line. Providers (all companies) only service the product they install, not the product they are hooking up.

hope this help'd you out a little... its always hard to tell whats going on unless your the tech actually on sight with a meter and the know how to fix the issue.

E.Ninja

E.Ninja

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So ironically i had a job the next morning for a homenetworking job that requested a netgear to be swapped with our linksys (which we rarely have on hand) because xbox live would kick it off line.

Nothing i did helped. Straight and god honest trueth coming from a Inhouse Tech 3.

Did a lot more research and this is what i have concluded...

There is no firmware UPG for this gateway, not even 3rd party. Whenever this gateway hits a set limit of NAT connections it simply fails, freezes, reboots. Thus the xbox live reseting the router...

Suggestion:

stay away from these CG814WG V2's... they are a pile unless you're only using it to web browse. Either call up and DEMAND a linksys gateway, which i KNOW works (but rarely have on hand because of partnerships with netgear) or just simply say you want your money back because the product provided doesnt work and get a leased mod (or your own) and your own wireless router.

One other thing... which i havent tried. We also provide just regular wireless routers because of our new digital voice modems. See if they are willing to give you a leased mod with a seperate wireless router. Catch is, its netgear.. and i havent had a chance to play with them.

again.. this is a problem with the firmware / router... they both arent very good IMO... this coming from a actual tech :\

Edited by E.Ninja, 17 May 2008 - 11:42 PM.

Nebas

Nebas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the exact same router (NETGEAR CG814WG v2) that was just installed when I got Comcast Internet recently. I ungraded from DSL for faster connection speeds so I can play Everquest. Almost each and every time I drop (lose) signal and get disconnected form the game which ends in BAD results in PvP gaming. Any other EQ players with the same dropped signal problem with this modem? Anyone offer some router alternative products that I could purchase myself so I don't have to rent Comcast's router anymore? I am looking for the fastest and most reliable router I can find where I can connect at least one other computer and connect wireless as well.

xBlackPearlx

xBlackPearlx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have the fix right here, click the link and spread the word : )

http://forum1.netgea...light=superuser