Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java Problem

• Please log in to reply

BlackIce

BlackIce

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I used to have Java on my Vista PC, then had to uninstall it. Recently, I tried to reinstall it, but my PC crashed halfway through the install due to a power failure. I tried to install it again, but it says it is installed already, and that I must uninstall it. I tried to uninstall it; I hit "Allow" to placate UAC, it shows a progress bar briefly, but is still under the "Uninstall a Program" list, like it is still installed, and didn't uninstall. I went into my registry and deleted all the entries with Java in the name, and tried to install again. Same error, it thinks it is installed.

So here's the problem: I need to install a program that is neither installed nor uninstalled, and can be neither installed nor uninstalled. It is neither in the registry nor the main partition of my hard drive.

Please help, I know you can figure this out!

Edited by BlackIce, 01 September 2007 - 07:04 PM.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Don't do an online installation. See if this works....
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u2 allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

Now reboot and see if you can uninstall the older version of Java.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I should have asked this first... why did you need to uninstall Java? :whistling: