Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Over Voltage Help + HDD Question

• Please log in to reply

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello again, I just got my new PC. Have a few questions.

I have a program called PC Probe. It is telling me that the 1.2VHT is just over 1.5VHT. It pops up a little warning message so it has me a bit worried. Can someone tell me what this is? and why it would be over? what can this damage?

Also, I have 2 HDD, one 150 GB 10,000 RPM and another 250GB 7.200 RPM. I had planned on having the main HDD be the 150GB but the computer came stock with the 250 as the main with windows on it. I know I can reinstall windows and use the 150GB but the boot sector(or whatever) will still be on the 250. Can I just switch the IDE cables before I boot from the windows CD and make the 150GB the main HDD?

Also, I was planning on installing Vista(dual boot setup). Would I be better of partitioning the 150GB or just install Vista on the slower 250Gig? or should I Partition the 250GB and intall XP and Vista on that one? From what I understand the OS will run a bit faster if it is installed on the fater HDD.

I know this is a lot of rambling but please help the best you can.

Thank you,
NMD

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The BIOS emits a single 'beep' when all hardware is OK, and a combination of short or long beeps (or a continuous beep) when there is a hardware problem. These beps are designed to help you identify what's wrong. So what make of BIOS is installed and what sort of beeps are you getting?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
In response to your hard drive questions, I would do this:

Format and install dual boot on 10,000rpm (partition it). Keep the 7,200rpm for all of your data. You should be able to access your data from both xp and vista. Then if anything goes wrong with either OS, you can just format the partition and start again, data still safe on the other drive. :whistling:

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

The BIOS emits a single 'beep' when all hardware is OK, and a combination of short or long beeps (or a continuous beep) when there is a hardware problem. These beps are designed to help you identify what's wrong. So what make of BIOS is installed and what sort of beeps are you getting?

Hi, I am not getting any beeps that I can tell. Not sure what bios ver. is have, the mobo is a ASUS Striker Extream, I think I may have found the answer, my mobo has a feature that boots this voltage by 25% , it also boosts a voltage to the video card, I am going to update the bios to the current ver. and then see where everything is at, if not, I read I can just change the voltages in my bios.

In response to your hard drive questions, I would do this:

Format and install dual boot on 10,000rpm (partition it). Keep the 7,200rpm for all of your data. You should be able to access your data from both xp and vista. Then if anything goes wrong with either OS, you can just format the partition and start again, data still safe on the other drive. :whistling:

Thank you, That is what I figured would be best. What about switching the IDE cables? will that be okay? I dont see why not but I have discovered I dont know nearly as much about PC's as I thought.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You have the ASUS Striker Extreme and you're using IDE drives? Please grab yourself at least one SATA 3.0GB/s hard drive to use as your OS drive, that would be much faster.

There should be no need to go changing the data cables around, why would you want to do this?

PC Probe is a monitoring solution and it's warning you that things are different - return all overclocking options to default (off) and the warnings should go away.

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

You have the ASUS Striker Extreme and you're using IDE drives? Please grab yourself at least one SATA 3.0GB/s hard drive to use as your OS drive, that would be much faster.

There should be no need to go changing the data cables around, why would you want to do this?

PC Probe is a monitoring solution and it's warning you that things are different - return all overclocking options to default (off) and the warnings should go away.

Yea, they are both SATA, I got everything sorted out now. The only thing is, on the data drive I noticed that the jumper is set to 1.5GB. I have already formated the drive(nothing is on it yet), can I just switch the jumper now?

About the Voltage, the older ver. of my BIOS had a feature called Linkboost that was increasing the voltage, I could have just turned it off but it was recommend that I update the BIOS bc they have completely removed that function.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay that's cool, I was worried for a minute, but I'm glad you've got SATA drives! As long as the hard drives are both SATA 3.0GB/s compatible (I know the motherboard is!) then change that jumper! When your drives are connected to the motherboard via SATA, you control the whole master/slave settings in the BIOS, there's no need to go changing cables and jumpers and things anymore.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
While we're at it, you don't need to install the operating system to the other hard drive, you can image the old operating system to it. If your new drive came with a CD you can use the software on it to do that. Otherwise you can download the software from the drive maker and run it. It should be in the slave position when you do that, then just switch drives. That way your complete operating system will be backed up on the old drive and on the new one too.It's a lot simpler and faster than reinstalling everything. defragment the old drive first so all the files will be at the lower end.

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Cool, thanks alot. I have already partitioned and re-installed windows so I am good there. Now I am running into other problems.

I bought a fan controller for the case fans and now I have discovered that the case fans only use 2 wires and are like spliced into the set of power hookups that connect to the HDD's, well, the set the fans are on aren't hooked up to the set the HDD's are on but If I added a few more HDD's they would be.

Also, PC probe gave me an alarm that the MoBo temp was too high, 45-48 degrees, threshhold is 44 degrees. I think something is messing up my air flow, there are 5 fans right near each other, an intake on the side panel for the PCIE card, right above that is and exhaust fan directly over the cpu, the cpu fan is weird, it's the V1 Gaming Cooler( http://www.pro-clock...view.php?id=223 ) it has a vertical van that I think is interfering with the exhaust fan on the side panel, then at the same hight as the side exhaust is a rear exhaust fan(the only one that seems to be moving a good amount of air) then on the other side of the CPU cooler is a mini, optional fan that comes with the striker, the manual for the mobo says to only use it if you have a passive cooler, would the V1 be considered passive or active? o god!!!!! i need help!!! I may just take this [bleep] thing to a pc repair shop and say "here, make it work right!!!1"

*****EDIT***** link to my case, http://www.raidmax.c...cs/smilodon.htm

Edited by NeedMoDro, 04 September 2007 - 12:01 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
For the case fans, there is lots of information available if you search for it. Try looking up "computer case air flow" or something similar on Google to find it. Make sure that the sites you find has pictures, then compare your current setup. You might try changing the direction of one or two fans. Also a picture of your computer with the case of and information about each fan and the direction it blows may help.

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey thanx! I really did not expect a response to that last bit. I was just sort of "typing out loud?", ya that seems right.

I have gotten so fed up with this thing, I'm just gonna take it in... The local pc place buys a bunch of stuff from my work, I'm sure I can get them to look at it for free. Then I'll just offer to hook them up with some batteries at my cost and I'm sure I can get a good deal if I need any work done.