Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8800gts evga superclocked 320mb

• Please log in to reply

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I read all over the internet that the stock fan on this card was quieter then most stock fans. However my card is extremely loud. Any suggestions on how to quiet the fans without voiding the warrenty. It is really starting to annoy me.

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
stock fans are usually louder, you could try replacing the fan with another one certified and designed to fit onto your card, but make sure you check your manual to see if this voids any warranty you have.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
On some cards you can adjust the fan speed in the Nvidia Control Panel.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
The problem is that in all kinds of reviews, the fan gets praised as being really quiet and mine is not. I was just wondering if there is something I am forgetting to do. In my nvidia control panel fan control is grayed out. So i can not change it.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I took off the HSF and removed the stock thermal paste. Replaced it with zalman thermal paste and temp dropped 10-12 degrees and fan speed lowered by around 200rpm. Much quieter and cooler. Off to buy a new HSF now. The reason i didn't do that in the first place was i didn't want to void my warrenty. However just learned EVGA allows for this without voiding warretny :whistling: