Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to remove programs from startup

• Please log in to reply

kitkat612

kitkat612

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi . I would appreciate some help, please. I would like to STOP a few programs from automatically loading upon startup. Specifically: Limewire, and 2 Sony Picture Package programs, Bitorrent as well. Thank you. KitKat

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Go to Start, click on Run, then type in msconfig in the Run window. Click OK button. When System Configuration Utility comes up, select Startup tab. Uncheck the boxes for the programs you do not want to start at boot. Click OK button. Reboot from window that follows. Once you have rebooted, you'll get another window popping up to let you know you have selected start. Check the box in the lower left corner, then click OK button. Check to make sure programs you unchecked did not start.

Ron

Peat Moss

Peat Moss

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I noticed you have Ccleaner from one of your posts it has a easy program ,under tools sort start up issues . Example I only have have three , two are related to my Kaspersky Security the other is Diskeeper .

I don't like using msconfig for noobies too complicated .

Edited by Peat Moss, 02 September 2007 - 11:05 AM.

kitkat612

kitkat612

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Peat, thank you for your advice about using CCleaner for my startup issues. I appreciate your advice. Also....I have had good fortune ...it WORKED! Because I am new...not sure how to inform that topic can be closed? thank you...

kitkat :whistling:

Peat Moss

Peat Moss

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Glad it worked , Windows is such a silly O/S . Every program you install says "pick me "on start up ! Some we need others are just set up options .

kroberts

kroberts

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Best program I've found to find and stop startup programs running is spybot! Go to "Mode" and "Advanced", from there "Startup Internals", it even tells you what they are and weather needed!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I noticed you have Ccleaner from one of your posts it has a easy program ,under tools sort start up issues . Example I only have have three , two are related to my Kaspersky Security the other is Diskeeper .

It is a lot easier to restore items in msconfig because all you have to do is recheck the boxes you unchecked then it is after using CCleaner. Check some of the posts in this forum of what happens when "newbies" have used CCleaner. Some serious problems have resulted.

Ron

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
MSconfig is much better and easier than Spybot to get around in for things like startup.

Another good program I recommend is "winpatrol". It monoitors a lot of things, including the startup programs. It also gives info on what they are and you can add additional notes about each program.

It will ask to allow a "new startup" or deny. So its great if something gets in and starts running that you arent aware of.

Its in my signature.

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

It is a lot easier to restore items in msconfig because all you have to do is recheck the boxes you unchecked then it is after using CCleaner. Check some of the posts in this forum of what happens when "newbies" have used CCleaner. Some serious problems have resulted.

Ron

He is right.When you can use microsofts easy to use tools then there is no need to install and use any other programs because they may create lot of problem and could be used as spywares.Be careful while useing msconfig or any other software to stop startup programs.you might accidentally swicht off the antivirus which may gaive green signal to viruses.

Peat Moss

Peat Moss

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ccleaner is just a tool if used right its a great program , I'v seen people mess their computers up using msconfig too .
WIN INI and BOOT INI come to mind , but if left at default settings and people actually read what their disabling or deleting it's fine .I can't remember but think SpyBot and TuneUP 2007 let you uncheck or check boxes as well .

The O/P already had the program installed , thought it was a no brainer . :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Ccleaner is just a tool if used right its a great program , I'v seen people mess their computers up using msconfig too . WIN INI and BOOT INI come to mind , but if left at default settings and people actually read what their disabling or deleting it's fine .

If you will read my post, I gave specific instructions on where to go in msconfig and what to do. All that was needed was to identify the programs OP mentioned in his post and uncheck the boxes. Very simple, very safe. I did not say to just uncheck any box or give any instructions to go to the win.ini or boot.ini tabs.

If you expect help here, you need to read and follow the steps given.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 03 September 2007 - 10:17 AM.

Peat Moss

Peat Moss

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Ccleaner is just a tool if used right its a great program , I'v seen people mess their computers up using msconfig too . WIN INI and BOOT INI come to mind , but if left at default settings and people actually read what their disabling or deleting it's fine .

If you will read my post, I gave specific instructions on where to go in msconfig and what to do. All that was needed was to identify the programs OP mentioned in his post and uncheck the boxes. Very simple, very safe. I did not say to just uncheck any box or give any instructions to go to the win.ini or boot.ini tabs.

If you expect help here, you need to read and follow the steps given.

Ron

Fair enough and when a problem is solved , and the O/P asks it be closed do it .

Quote : "It WORKED! Because I am new...not sure how to inform that topic can be closed? thank you..."

I was just trying to help , sorry for stepping on toes , I did n't try to make it a pissing contest . I just find with windows there's more than one way to skin a cat . Sometimes experience is a great teacher if one is open to ideas and different ways to solve problems . I can leave here with my head held high and go some where else . As I said sorry for the trouble . Peat

Runscanner

Runscanner

Runscanner.net

• Retired Staff
  • 83 posts
Follow the link in my sig to runscanner.
Warning :use with care :whistling: