Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update fails

• Please log in to reply

kendor

kendor

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have wrote zeros to my hard drive and re-installed windows 2000 pro. The first time I went to windows update it started to do the usual download of required files to use windows update. It downloaded them but when it came time to install it said they both failed. I downloaded the files from the microsoft web site and manually installed them. The files were: Microsft Windows Installer 3.1 and Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (bits) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1(KB942773). After that I was able to get into windows update.
I clicked the express button and it came up with 58 critical updates. It downloaded all of them no problem but when it came time to install they all failed like the first two updates did. I have also tried installing one update at a time and no difference. I also looked in add/remove programs and it shows no hot fixes so as far as I can tell it's not asking me to install updates i already have.
I have installed Internet Explorer 6 and service pack 4 and the rollup update for it.
I have already had some spyware take control of my system so any help anybody can give to help get windows update working so I can then work on getting it off my system would be greatly apreciated. Thanks all.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download and run "Dial-a-fix", using the link in the list of programs below. Check "Fix Windows Updates". Some other boxes will be checked too. Click on go and let the process run. Try updates again.

kendor

kendor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried it but then it wouldn't let me connect to windows update at all. Because of spyware getting on my computer I have wrote zeros to my hard drive and re-installed windows 2000 pro again and am back to the point where windows update fails to install any updates. Without the windows updates I'm afraid to use the internet for fear of another spyware attack so any other suggestions would be greatly apreciated.