Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file transfer from my laptop to jumpdrive

• Please log in to reply

kitkat612

kitkat612

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Could you please walk me thru, gently, how to transfer my photoimpressions program from my laptop to my jumpdrive so I can use the program on my desktop computer. I tried doing this, and only ended up copying a shortcut..not the real program. THANK YOU...you folks are fabulous! :whistling: kitkat

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Can't be done. You can't copy programs from one drive to another and expect them to work. You also can't install most programs to an external drive.
If you want the program on the other machine, run the installer/CD on it.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Do you have the original DLed program saved before you installed it? If not, go to the site where you can get the program, download it (do not select install option) to Desktop or some folder that you keep your programs before they are installed. I keep mine in a folder called My Downloads.

If program is already zipped, then copy it to your jump drive. Plug in your jump drive to PC, find program and click or double-click on it to install. Hopefully your jump drive has enough space left to copy the file into it.

If program comes on a CD, then you're good to go, if your PC has a CD unit, as Neil said for install. Any thing you have added to the program, like photos, will have to be transferred in the same way via your jump drive. Once you have the program installed on PC, you can delete it from the jump drive to clear up space for photos. I would make a folder for the photos so you will know where to find them with the program on the PC once copied from the jump drive.

Hope this makes sense.

Ron

kitkat612

kitkat612

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thank you Ron. I'll try that :blink:

kitkat :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Post back how it goes.

Ron

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
here you'll find a lot of software for your jumpdrive.
Hope it helps

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Nice link and info. Bookmarked. Thanks.

Ron