Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Access one Specific Website

• Please log in to reply

sgweinb

sgweinb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been reading the posts between blindu and computerwiz12890 because the situation which is described is exactly what I am experiencing with a different site http://www.jewishgen.org. I used to be able to access this site and now cannot. I assume some settings changed when I was set up for remote access through my employer, but have followed the instructions from computerwiz (as much as possible) and met with no success. At one point I got it to load the first page, but it wouldn't go to subsequent pages, now I can't get it to do even that.

I've cleaned out temporary files, but couldn't find where it said to delete all temporary offline content. I went into the options advanced tab, and clicked on Restore advanced settings (didn't see anywhere where it said Restore Defaults) I installed scrub it and I was able to get to the site through myproxyserver, but it was extremely slow. I've downloaded the Opera browser and I already have Firefox and IE. None of them work.

I can access the site through other computers at work and at home, just not on my laptop which is where I need it.

Any suggestions on next steps?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
So you can access the site from another computer at your house, but not from the laptop at your house? That is very strange indeed.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not copy and paste full log) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

sgweinb

sgweinb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, here's the attached log from Hijack This. Let me know what you conclude. Thanks for looking at it.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I don't notice anything out of the ordinary...

Try disabling your firewall (BlackICE?) and then accessing the website. If it still doesn't work, let's try this:

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the problem occur? If not, continue with the next part. If so, STOP and report back to me. Re-enable everything (the items you just unchecked) too!

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the problem occur? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.
Does the problem occur? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the problem, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

sgweinb

sgweinb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I couldn't figure out how to disable Black Ice so I established a program restore point and then uninstalled it. The site I was trying to reach popped right up. So that problem seems solved.

It appears that Black Ice is related to me accessing my employer's VPN. When I went back to the restore point it had the files, but when I tried to get into my work files, I got a message that Black Ice wasn't active. Any idea how you disable and re-enable a program like Black Ice? Otherwise I'll try the help desk at work on Tuesday to figure out why it would block a file and how I can work around that.

Thanks so much for your help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Sweet! Wonder why it'd block a website...

I never heard of BlackICE until I saw your HijackThis log and looked it up. I have no idea how to configure it. It would be best if you asked the Help Desk so they can give you a proper response.

:whistling: