Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu LiveCD Problems

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
http://208.100.59.74/ubuntu

Also, it takes like 20-30 minutes for the desktop to fully load. The mouse isn't lagging or anything, and it doesn't freeze, just programs won't open.

Check the pics in that folder.

PC specs:

ASRock P4i65G
Intel Celeron D 2.8Ghz (overclocked to 3.5Ghz (And tried without it overclocked))
255MB PC3200 Micron RAM
1MB onboard VRAM (tried increasing to 32MB and still sluggish)
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM
NEC 3500AG (I *think* this is the problem)

I also tried the other installer (the CLI one and it froze at the programs bit before the bootloader setup), and when I booted it up, there was no GUI, just like a giant terminal, aswell as trying 2 CD's a friend burnt (he has Ubuntu working perfectly)...

Any solution? I'm getting another 512MB RAM soon, but I'd like it get it installed asap.

Thanks.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
One thing I've found that helps with Live CDs is having a Swap partition already set up on the hard drive. Most Live CDs will activate and use the Swap space for loading and running the CD. Since I prefer to set up my drives before installing a system there is always swap space there. 256MB of RAM is a bit low for most full Live CDs and a gig of swap could help to make more memory available to run the OS.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Can I use PCLinuxOS (livecd (works fine btw)) to make the SWAP partition?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I believe PCLinuxOS has gparted as part of the packages installed. It will resize and setup the partitions you need to install on. You might want to stay with PCLinuxOS as it has better support for non-free(restricted) hardware drivers. The lack of inclusion of these types of drivers in the main ports is one of the issues I have with Ubuntu though I do have it installed on a machine and have found what I need in the back ports and through source packages.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I added a 1GB SWAP partition, and the LiveCD is now usable.

Thanks.