Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Print Spooler service causes endless restart

• Please log in to reply

cooldrums

cooldrums

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP Pavilion 540n computer that works great, most of the time. It has 512MB Ram, 1.6Ghz P4 with a 40GB Maxtor HD and Windows XP Home.

When I first got this computer it worked for a while then it started restarting randomly on me. I tried EVERYTHING I could think of, including changing the RAM, and it still did the same thing. Then somewhere in the process I discovered that it was the Print Spooler Service that was causing my system to crash. I disabled the service and my puter worked flawlessly. If I start the service my computer will restart within a minute. It is very inconvenient not to be able to print, but I have no more ideas except to replace the motherboard and processor. Here is a list of what I've tried:

-Fresh Install of Windows XP
-Changed the RAM module
-Tried video card instead of onboard video
-Removed all PCI cards
-Tried different HD
-Tried different Power Supply
-Tried different keyboard and mouse
-Did I forget anything???

None of these things makes any difference. If I try to run the Print Spooler Service my system will restart within a minute. Upon restarting it will log into Windows and then immediately restart again. It seems to be in a constant "loop". If I disable the "Restart upon system failure" option, then it won't restart but simply freeze upon logging into Windows.

Like I said I've tried everything and my conclusion is it's a motherboard/processor issue.

I would really appreciate if anyone out there has any other ideas or wants to confirm my suspicion that its the motherboard/processor that is causing my system restarts. Thanks.

NOTE: Here is something that I didn't think to mention in my original post. After I installed XP that last time I did not try to install any printers for several days and the computer worked fine. Then I tried installing my Epson C60 printer with utility and it crashed the next day. I have uninstalled all the software and the printer but it still restarts. I can stop it from restarting by simply disabling the Print Spooler service or having it manual start.

Edited by cooldrums, 07 September 2007 - 09:04 AM.

Advertisements

kriechsnar

kriechsnar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
goto run, regedit, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, software, Hewlett-Packard, locate the folder of your printer example 'HP printers' delete the folder then try to install again the printer driver.

kriechsnar

kriechsnar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
additional information maybe your printer driver was not verified. try run command, verifier, create standard settings, automatically select unsigned drivers, click finish to reboot.