Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System shut off (maybe overheat?)

• Please log in to reply

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Ok, normally I can always find the answer to my problems but this time I just can't figure out whats wrong.
I bought a new computer awhile back and eventually upgraded the video card, worked fine.
Then I bought a new CPU, took out my current cpu and then realized that the new cpu was the wrong socket, so I returned it and replaced the old cpu.
After I did that every time I turn on the computer it will turn on for anywhere between 10 second to 1 minute and then shut off.
I've tried different power supplies, video cards, i've unplugged everything and tried turning on the comp with just the cpu and ram and video card.
I think its an overheating issue because depending on how long I let it rest determines how long it stays on before it shuts off, although in the bios hardware monitor it says the cpu is running between 45 and 47 celsius which is fine and the system temp is approx 30 celsius.
The Motherboard is a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and the cpu is an amd athlon 64 3800+ with a geforce 6800 vid card.
The only thing I could have though of is that I noticed the fan for the chipset processor had been unplugged, but plugging it back in fixed nothing, it still turns off after awhile. Unless the motherboard temp monitor is lying to me I really cannot figure out what the problem is. Any opinions?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you clean the cpu and heat sink and then reapply NEW thermopaste to it?

Chumara

Chumara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes I did, arctic silver 5