Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound and Microphone problems

• Please log in to reply

Technodave

Technodave

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello its a funny one this, I have done my best to try find out what is wrong but no luck here is whats going on with my pc.

On monday i started to notice some static sounds in my headset later that night my mic wasnt working and i was only getting sound threw my right side head phone speaker the left was dead. (i also checked in the ports in the back of the PC) i thought i needed a new head set...

Tuesday i try my new headset and its the same :whistling:
I then wire up my old pc and tried both my headsets on it and they work great
I later went threw all the drivers and settings to check and reinstall the drivers still nothing,
Only thing that works is if i twist the green plug around abit my left hand speak then sometimes works but its the same threw the back ports with both head sets.

Ive no idea whats wrong mayb a wire inside?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It may just be a defective jack or the solder joints (if directly connected to sound card) were not properly soldered and after long time usage have an intermittent connections. Have you shut Windows down, removed power cord and the side panel(s) to look inside of PC? Before poking around, discharge yourself again the metal cabinet of the PC and see if your phone jack is directly connected to board. Since you have two (front and back), one of them will probably be plugged in via a connector. Maybe both. It could be the sound card, but I doubt it at this point. Do you have a separate Speaker output jack you can try using a set of speakers?

Ron

Technodave

Technodave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I thought it might of been the plug but its the same problem in the front and back sockets

The back socket is direct into the board, the front is connected with a wire to the board

I tried to unplug the front panel audio connector from the motherboard and just use the back but the back didnt work then :whistling:

The problem is there with speakers only the rightside works with some amount of static

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
May be a sound card problem. Have you run the diagnostic tests for your system? If you tried speakers with the same plug then it's hard to figure out whether its the plug or not. I was hoping you had separate plugs for headphones and speaker use.

Ron

Technodave

Technodave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ive been looking at it more today and it seems theres some system noise down my microphone line now but both my speakers are working. ( i had to put the mic volume down in the sound playback)
I played around abit with the sound recorder and even when the mic isnt pluged in it records a massive amount of static.

Ive paid for a new sound card this week so i hope that will fix it when it gets here, still ive no idea why or what happened

Edited by Technodave, 07 September 2007 - 12:21 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any new results?

Ron

Technodave

Technodave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
No ive kinda given up now..... I tried new microphone, new drivers, new bios
I am still waiting for my new soundcard to get here :whistling:

If i mute the microphone line it hides the the problem so its kinda ok for now but i cant use vent still