Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled Windows, Now can't connect to net

• Please log in to reply

guitwiz

guitwiz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I bought two different video cards and couldn't get either one to work. It seemed my bios had to be updated because whenever I booted up, my lcd monitor would say mode not supported, and all the control was being sent through the original graphics output that came in the computer instead of the video card output. When trying to update my bios, I couldn't find out what bios I had because Windows would say failure at 16 percent when trying to view system info. So I went online and googled update bios and that led me to Reg Cure, which I bought to fix the 1700+ problems it found in my registry. Still the video card didn't work and I couldn't find out what bios I had because windows xp wouldn't tell me.

So I reinstalled Windows XP and now I can't connect to the internet. It seems it is not acknowleding my DSL modem? Please, I need help getting connected to the internet and getting everything back to the way it was on my computer after installing a fresh version of Windows XP. Luckily, I have a second computer, so I can communicate with that for now.

:whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you install the communication adapter driver after xp reinstallation? Check in device manager > Network Adapters. Is there a yellow mark near there?

guitwiz

guitwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I didn't reinstall any drivers, no. I have a speedstream dsl modem, but can't find the disk that came with it from SBC/Yahoo to reinstall drivers for that modem.

Under Network Adaptors, there is only:
1394 Net Adapter
And there is no yellow mark by it.

But under "Other devices", there are yellow !'s next to"
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio controller
PCI Modem
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
" " " "

Edited by guitwiz, 03 September 2007 - 04:18 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
After format you have to install motherboard drivers. Many times the drivers are founf in SP-2 (in old versions) but in other cases you have to use the drivers' disk of the motherboard or download from the manufacturer's site. If you don't know how to do this write down the make and model of the computer and we'll find you a link.

guitwiz

guitwiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
No, I sure don't. Since I can't connect to the internet with that computer, how would I get the drivers downloaded to it?

My model and make are:
Sony Vaio
PCV-RS510

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to download the drivers that you need. You must download the drivers to another computer, burn to a cd or save into a flash memory and install from there to your computer.