Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lag issues

• Please log in to reply

Tr4ilmix

Tr4ilmix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I have a few problems with my internet.

1.Whenever I download a big file (80mb for example), most of the time, the download will just stop. My connection bails on me for 1 second. I can restart the download immediately, but then it will just stop downloading again.

2.Whenever I load up the in-game server browser for Counter-Strike Source, my computer will lag (not just the connection). It's the overflow of all the servers coming in.

3.I installed the old game Deus Ex, and every server on the server game list has above 500 ping (i configured the firewall to let the game through).

4.At random times when I'm playing World of Warcraft, my connection will spike, and the game freezes on my end for about 5-20 seconds. (i think it may have something to do with no.1)

System Specs:
Intel C2D E6300 1.83ghz
1gb DDR2-800 RAM
Nvidia 7900GS 256mb video card
Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard

D-Link DIR-625 Router (I tried switching to my Linksys router but had the same problem)
8mb Cable connection (astound.net)

I heard that this was the place to go to for help. :whistling: Please throw any possible solutions at me that might fix these issues.

Advertisements

sgtfuzz

sgtfuzz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
First thing i would do is connect your pc or know good laptop directly into the cable modem bypassing the router and run a speedtest off of dslreports.com and take note to what your speed is. Then if its a bad result i would powercycle the modem and run a speedtest again to see what you speed is now. If its still bad results could be a bad connection between you and your ISP and have them come out and take a look. Now if the results are good and it slowly gets worse still have the cable company come out and take a look. Have them put a decibmal test it should be around 7DB continuation on the line. If they say its all good have the cable company run a test with a laptop. If all comes back good request a new modem and go from there.