Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What firewall..

• Please log in to reply

godsdog

godsdog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi! GREAT site!

I was having great problems with lots of malware/trojans on my notebook and i spent a lot of time yesterday scanning through geeks To Go to find the answers.. The "You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Malware Cleaning Guide" was a great starting point and with time on my hands im sure i have now filter out all the bad stuff.. :whistling:

So, just 1 question:
What firewall should i be using on my home network... My desktop is in great health and i made sure the notebook wasnt online at the same time because of all the problems it was having. Now its fixed, can someone suggest a free firewall i should use on both machines?? I read somewhere in here that windows firewall isnt the best on a home network. Ive read http://www.bleepingc...tutorial60.html and just wondered what would be the best choice given my situation?

Anyway, thx. If Geeks wasnt here i think id still be having problems come xmas..

:blink:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I like ZoneAlarm as it gives me complete control over whether to allow/disallow programs from accessing the Internet. Plus, it keeps most all the ports stealthed if you keep it set at default position. ZA has a free version so check it out.

Ron

godsdog

godsdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thx for the info.. Can u tell me if downloading ZA (for its firewall feature only) will have an adverse affect on AVG anti virus?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The free ZA is only a firewall with limited features although you can try out the 19 day advance trial. It converts over at the end of trial period. ZA has not affected my use of AVG. In fact, I use AVG, Avast and ClamWin on my PC with ZA. They just are scheduled to do their thing at different times. Not saying you wont have problems, because it seems everyone has some little glitch once in awhile. I would suggest before downloading any software to be installed that you make a Restore Point. Then DL to Desktop or folder of your choice and install from there.

Ron

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
i would suggest using sygate personel firewall
it's free and does lots to prevent malware e.g telling you whats connecting to the internet and if you want to aloow it or not and whats being connected to from the web by remote machiens

I have found this a great firewall out of ones i have tried

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The info I found for Sysgate personal firewall:

Free to try; $39.95 to buy

You should provide the link to the free version if you are recommending use of a program. From what I know about this software is that it will not pass the security tests using Shields Up! services. Use the All Ports test. With ZA all ports should be stealthed and no pinging allowed back or answered.

Ron

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
ok funny that i have got a free version Edit found the free version
http://www.download....4-10637565.html
Its free for home use but you have to pay if its buisness

you say it wont pass security tests il will give it a try
With zone alarm will i still be able to host game servers if its stealhed?

Result i just did the stealth all ports test and i got green all the way through

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2007-09-04 at 11:22:22

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Edit

Sorry i no why i was stealthed it was because of my 2 router firewalls cant easily test it
So... dont get sygate get zone alarm!

Edited by ==SpuD==, 09 September 2007 - 11:22 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I also recommend using ZoneAlarm, it's very good. It's not really important about which one is the best, as long as it is a proven firewall (like that GRC Port test) then it's important that you take the time to get used to it. Understand what it's asking you, understand what programs you have on your computer.

I also recommend Sunbelt Personal Firewall (formerly called Kerio), and Comodo Firewall Pro. Don't forget you only need one, though.

In fact, I use AVG, Avast and ClamWin on my PC with ZA. They just are scheduled to do their thing at different times

This is quite a complicated setup, as far as I am aware, you only need one anti-virus to have real-time monitoring or they will conflict. Unless you really know what you are doing, I recommend using only one anti-virus.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

In fact, I use AVG, Avast and ClamWin on my PC with ZA. They just are scheduled to do their thing at different times

This is quite a complicated setup, as far as I am aware, you only need one anti-virus to have real-time monitoring or they will conflict. Unless you really know what you are doing, I recommend using only one anti-virus.

I know what I'm doing and, as you must know, not any one program is good enough to catch all the malware that is on the Internet. There is and has never been any conflict with these programs. I even run AdAware 2007 and SpyBot S & D at the same time. No conflicts with them either if you know what you're doing.

Result i just did the stealth all ports test and i got green all the way through

I'm am sure glad to see that they have come a long way on this. With these results, there's no need to change firewalls. You're good to go. Thanks for posting back on the free link and the results.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 04 September 2007 - 06:23 AM.

godsdog

godsdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow! Thanks for the post all!

I appreciate all the advice and i decided on ZA. Both Notebook and Desktop have ZA now and first impressions are good..

Thx again Geeks

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're more then welcome and thank you for using GTG.

Ron

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

I know what I'm doing and, as you must know, not any one program is good enough to catch all the malware that is on the Internet. There is and has never been any conflict with these programs. I even run AdAware 2007 and SpyBot S & D at the same time. No conflicts with them either if you know what you're doing.

Yer your dam right there i have also got a few programs on my pcs like spybot SD adawere 07 and the avgs and some progrmas find one thing while the other finds nout and vise versa

Edited by ==SpuD==, 07 September 2007 - 10:00 AM.