Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't use the Internet, but my computer says I'm connected..

• Please log in to reply

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
My computer isn't getting on the internet. It says I am connected and the modem & lights are all on like they should be.

I don't know how to fix this. Please help!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to create a new internet connection. Go to Internet Explorer > tools > Internet options > connections. In Setup use the wizard to create a new connection. In LAN Settings check the box Automatically detect settings. Uncheck proxy server.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
That didn't work, or there wasn't enough information to do what you said for me to do. I didn't need to use a wizard to do that LAN & proxy stuff. I still can't get on the internet. I still have the thing in the bottom right corner of my screen saying: Local Area Connection 100 MBPS Status: Connected.

I can't do anyting on the internet. (I am using a laptop with internet from one of our neighbors if you were wondering how I was getting on Geeks to Go)

I've checked that all of the wires are hooked up. Also when I first get on my user thing, 2 boxes appear:

Box 1:
C:\WINDOWS\system3\scvhost.exe [X]
(picture of an X) Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\scvhost.exe'. Make sure you type the name correctly, and try again. To search for a
file, click the start button, and click Search.

Box2:
Desktop [X]
(Exclamation point Could not run or load or run 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\scvhost.exe' specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your
in a yellow triangle) computer or remove te reference to it in the registry.

Sorry about the ugly attempt at the Box 1 & 2 stuff typing; I get bored without WoW.

Also, I dont know what scvhost is; there are 6 of scvhost.exe in task manager processes.

I don't know if this helps, but we had the Geek Squad come over to fix our internet o be shared with our laptop (I am using the Laptop now). They also made it able to print from the laptop to the printer on our computer. The printer connection broke for some time, but we were still able to use the internet from the computer. The Geek Squad changed the whole internet thing so I don't know if I need to do something different. Also, the last time the computer worked right was when my sister was using Itunes and looking at songs.

I still can't get on the internet. Please be quick to find what's wrong.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Also, I've just tryed taking out the wireless router because I felt like trying that. When I have just my modem connected, the Local Area Connection thing says Limited or No Connectivity. When I put the Wireless router back in, it went back to saying I'm connected. I still can't get on the internet either way.

Also, if anybody doesn't know what to do, please just say it instead of ignoring me; I'll do ANYTHING to fix this. :) :angry: :) :) :whistling: :blink: :help: :help: :help: :)

P.S. Those smilies rool.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The wizard is required to create a new internet connection. Read my first post again and go to Setup. A wizard will show up. Use it to create a new connection.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Can you give me a list of what I have to click beause I think I'm doing something wrong in the wizard.

I press Connect to the Internet > then what? There's Choose from a list o ISPs, Ser p my connection manually, then Use the CD I got from my ISP.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I assume that you use DSL (not dial-up, not cable), a pci ethernet card (not a USB modem). Please do the following:

Enter the wizard > next
Check Connect to the internet > next
Check Setup connection manually > next
Check Connect using a broadband connection that requires user name and password (the option in the middle) > next
Connection name: you can write whatever your wish, even your own name. this serves to help you identify the connection. > next
Type your User Name and Password as received from your service provider. If you don't have this data you must call the service provider or help. Rewrite your password and make sure the two boxes below are checked. > next
Check Add Shortcut to this connection to my desktop. Click finish.

Now you will have a new icon or your desktop. Double click and connect to the internet.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I followed all of your instructions, but it still would not connect to the internet. I did the manual thing and typed in our info but it would not connect using the desktop icons. The Geek Squad people set it up so we didn't have to open up that thing and press connect; our computer automatically connected after it was logged on. :blink:

Now, the Local Area Connection says Limited or No Connectivity.

I've double-checked that all the wires are in the right places using a diagram that my dad drew while it worked.

I've also run Spy- Sweeper a few more times, but my computer is clean.

The modem and wireless router's lights are all on like they should be.

I still can't get on the internet. :whistling: Why?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I read your posts no. three and four and I am afraid that I don't understand what is going on. Could you describe, briefly, the system configuration? What do you have over there: is it a wireless router connected after a modem? Is your computer connected to the router via wireless adapter or via cable to a communication card? Do you have both wirless and cable connection on your computer?

Look in device manager and see at Network Adapter how many adapters are there and if there is no yellow mark near any of them.

Try to connect the laptop in the same manner that you connect your pc and see if it works.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
On our computer, there is a modem & a linksys wireless router. I've already tried getting on the internet without the wireless router and nothing different happened. In Device Manager, under Network Adapters, there is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet and a Intel(R PRO/100 VE Network Connection with an X on the picture.

In Network Connections, there is a Local Area Connection, under in grey letters are Limited or no connectivity and Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet and the other is Local Area Connection 3 (we don't use this one) Intel (R PRO/100 VE Network Connection. The plain Local Area Connection that we use has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it on the picture.

On our laptop under Network Adapters tere is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller with an X on its picture, and an Intel®PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection. I am using the Intel PROSet/Wireless thing to get on our neighbor's internet.

Does this help or is it not what you wanted? :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I understand correctly then you cannot connect the laptop wirelessly to your router but you can connect to your neigbour's, which means that the laptop is OK. Let's use it to diagnose where the problem is. there are several options:

The modem is faulty
The router is faulty
the cable between the modem and router is faulty
Some settings on the router are not right.
the adapters on your pc are faulty or miising their drivers. Let's ignore them for the time being.

Please do the following (use the laptop, not the pc):

Switch off the modem and the router for about 5 minutes. Switch on. If you can't connect wirelessly with the laptop disconnect the router and connect the the wire that goes out of the modem to the ethernet connection on the laptop. try to connect to the internet. If it doesn't work create a new connection as I explained in a previous post.

Double click the new icon. Make absolutely sure that Username name and password are correct. Please report if you can run the internet.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I did what you told me, but I couldn't get on the internet using the laptop. I made sure everything I did was right. The lights on both boxes, the router and modem, are on I think. Theres one light on the router that isn't on with the letters DMZ on it. The computer gets stuck renewing the IP adress, I think, because it's the longest when it loads.

I've also switced the places of the alike wires, but nothing has changed.

:whistling:

Runscanner

Runscanner

Runscanner.net

• Retired Staff
  • 83 posts

Box 1:
C:\WINDOWS\system3\scvhost.exe [X]

The correct windows file is SVChost.exe

You are probably infected with malware.
Download Runscanner and post you log to the appropriate forum.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you try to leave the router aside and connect the computer directly to the modem? If you can't connect to the nodem then it's probably faulty. Either the modem or the cable that connects between the two.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
My Internet is fixed now. I called the number on the CD that came with my modem and the people told me what to do:

I had to take the router out and leave the modem there (I had tried it by the modem by itself before but not with the next steps).

Then, I pressed the reset button on my router until the red/orange lights went on and off twice.

Then, I typed the IP address of my computer in the Address Bar and hit Enter.

Then, I typed in the Username & Password for our internet.

Clicked connect a few times until it worked.

Then my Internet was fixed. :whistling:

The router doesn't work anymore. I tried putting it back in doing these same steps but I just got the Limited or No Connectivity. Should I start a new forum thing for that? I'm also sorry that your help you gave me didn't work.