Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have Virtural Memory pop ups also

• Please log in to reply

Piratesmate

Piratesmate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Below is a screenshot of what I currently have installed for virtual memory. What can be done to increase v.m.?

Attached Thumbnails

• virtual_memory.jpg

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Click on Set in the same dialog box and set the virtual memory to your liking. Usually the minimum is set to time and a half your ram. I set maximum to double the minimum. If you have 256 MB ram then the present setting is good.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
To set it and forget it, select "System managed size" and push the Set button. This gives Windows permission to expand the size of the page file as needed.

I have mine set that way even though I have a gig of RAM. Some will say that the system is faster with a set size to the page file, but my experimentation with it was inconclusive.
Windows likes it's page file--it can have as much as it wants. I would just rather not have to ever worry about it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi 1101doc.

The advantage of setting VM manually becomes apparent when the disk is very full or very fragmented. When windows manages VM it may expand it or make it smaller. If the disk is fragmented or full the page files may also become fragmented because windows could not find a coherent space. When you set VM manually you shut this section of the disk and dedicate it entirely for page files.

It's true that this is not a common occurance and well maintaned computers will not suffer from it.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification.