Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless help: wireless provider vs cable+w.router, own equip vs compa

• Please log in to reply

geerhed

geerhed

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm setting up my new house, and I have to have wireless or my wife will kick me in the jimmy.

I hope these don't drop below the "n00b" question level, but...

Do you recommend a wireless provider vs cable connection+my own router, etc?

Can anyone give me an idea of the industry price history re some offered "lifetime" price packages? That is, if I take the "lifetime" price, am I going to get hosed in 2 years as the price drops 20%? :whistling:

FYI, I have a two mountain ranges at right angles around me, but the valley floor is really flat and wide.
Quest shows full coverage, for example.

Are there any technical downsides to bundling my phone & internet wireless together?

Thx

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I'm setting up my new house, and I have to have wireless or my wife will kick me in the jimmy. :whistling:

When you are saying wireless provider are you meaning a Cellular provider? Or do you mean a wireless ISP that delivers the internet from a tower wirelessly to an antenna that is attached to your house and connected to a transceiver in your house? Qwest offers DSL connections which deliver internet over your phone lines while allowing you to use the telephone at the same time. Are you also served by a cable tv company that offers internet service?

geerhed

geerhed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Qwest offers DSL connections which deliver internet over your phone lines while allowing you to use the telephone at the same time.

I wound up with Comcast telephone/cable internet into one modem. I put a Linksys wireless router on the end, but the ******* Comc@$$! :) modem needs to be power-cycled almost every other day to maintain connection. I'm sure they'll blame my hardware, but this will be the third time I've called them.

I'm looking for a third-party TELCO/CAB modem now. Do Arris TELCO/CAB modems have a bad rep?