Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Casually chatting away on Windows Live Messenger, as you do.. and then i get a pop up at the top of my contact list which says in other words, i have a connection problem. As soon as i see this pop up, i know it's not long before i get signed out of messenger.
So next i try to sign back in which i fail to succeed, instead i recieve an error code as shown below..

Posted Image

I then choose to use the troubleshooter which immediately gets to key ports and pauses on it. I waited patiently for it to progress but still made no progress in getting past key ports. Again, shown below..

Posted Image

To me, this blatently doesn't seem like an issue that has occured via Windows Live Messenger. I say this because not only can i not connect to a Ventrilo server i use, μTorrent a BitTorrent client i use, also tells me that the port i am using is all of a sudden blocked.

What has puzzled me most is how the problem isn't permanent as sometimes it's okay, then before i know it, all gone pete tong.

Apoligies if this is not in the right forum, i wasn't too sure where to post. :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This sounds like an ISP issue.

But having said that, its not the first time Messenger signs everybody out for no apparent reason and it definitely won't be the last.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I'm thinking that there are two possible issues we should first look at...

(1) Try to disable your torrent programs. If disabling does not help, uninstall them --- you're better off.

(2) Do you have a firewall installed? If you do, try temporarily disabling that and see if you can log-in with messenger.

VK.Jayy

VK.Jayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

(1) Try to disable your torrent programs. If disabling does not help, uninstall them --- you're better off.

(2) Do you have a firewall installed? If you do, try temporarily disabling that and see if you can log-in with messenger.

Have tried both of these but no success im afraid. :whistling:

I have also tried out a number of trusted applications to scan my computer in case of anything nasty but no luck.

Another issue would be that there is 3 computers running in our house, all with routered internet connections and funnily enough my fathers computer also had the same problem. He couldn't sign into Windows Live Messenger or even send/recieve emails through Outlook Express but now seems to be okay.

It seems that only mine and his computer that has been affected whereas my sisters remains perfectly okay.

Also may i note that he had also formatted his computer and still got the problem so all i can think is that it's the router?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see... Please provide me with the make and model of router you have. If you need to find the model number, look either on the back of the router, or on the bottom.

We're going to try and open some ports and see what happens...